Through civic engagement, training and mentorship, underserved young adults in Newark, NJ will develop employability skills and move closer to their college and career goals. We are seeking professionals, like you, to participate as volunteer Skills Trainers.
Who is a Skills Trainer?
Experienced professionals and community members who possess training and facilitation skills and are willing to use their talent in Newark.
ServiceWorks: Skills Trainer Position Description
What will I do as a Skills Trainer?
- The Skills Trainer will work with Service Scholars in a classroom-like setting and facilitate 90 minute modules that incorporate media and group discussion.
- These trainings will consist of videos, interactive activities, and conversations that lead to defined targets and outcomes, including completing a capstone project.
- Facilitate 5+ modules, an average of once per week lasting up to 90 minutes each.
- Clearly articulate concepts related to 21st century skills building such as communication, leadership and program management.
- Enter data into our client management database regarding Service Scholar participation after each session.
What is the average time commitment for a Skills Trainer?
A Skills Trainer will facilitate 90 minutes each week to a group of Service Scholars over the duration of a cohort, typically an 8-12 week commitment. However, you can commit to a longer or shorter window of time, to meet your needs.
What is ServiceWorks?
ServiceWorks - powered by AmeriCorps, the Citi Foundation, and Points of Light - is a groundbreaking, national program that uses volunteer service as a strategy to help 25,000 low-income young adults in 10 U.S. cities develop the skills they need to prepare for college and careers.
We share the belief that civic engagement and service leadership can be a pathway to success.
ServiceWorks will demonstrate that service can be an effective strategy to level the playing field for underserved young people, not only by decreasing the opportunity gaps they face but by increasing the likelihood that they will stay in school and find good jobs.
Note: This volunteer opportunity requires acriminal background check,at no cost to you.
Sign up for a training today or call Greg Tarnacki, ServiceWorks Program Coordinator at (973) 533-1993 ext. 20 to learn more about scheduling a time or date that works for you.
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
- Professional Development
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- About 3 hours/week for 10-12 weeks
- Daytime weekday availability in most cases with the occasional exception
- Marketplace in East Brunswick
- Plant it Forward in Newark
- Mobile Meals in Paterson
- Plant it Forward in Clifton
- Donation Clean Up in Belmar
- Mobile Meals in Elizabeth
- Social Media Moguls in Livingston
- Donation Delivery in Belmar
- Plant it Forward in Montclair...
- Earth Keepers in Jersey City...
- Supper Club in Bridgewater
- Hunger Helpers in Camden
- Earth Keepers in Watchung...
- Bingo Time with Veterans in...
- Kiddy Care in Madison
- Marketplace in Paterson
- Book Buddies in Wayne
- Hunger Helpers in Hoboken
- Earth Keepers in Manchester
- Behind the Scenes with Jersey...