About the Up2Us Coach Program
Up2Us Sports is a coalition of more than 1,200 nonprofit organizations that believe in the power of sports to fight childhood obesity, end academic failure, and reduce gang participation. Up2Us Sports’ flagship program is Up2Us Coach, a national coach/mentor program that places, trains, and supports coaches to provide meaningful experiences to youth in a variety of sports programs nationwide. More than 1,800 coaches have provided opportunities for more than 284,000 youth to be active, learn skills, and stay out of trouble through sports.
Operation Coach is a program of Up2Us Sports that provides veterans with support and professional development while giving back to their community as a coach mentor for underserved youth. AmeriCorps Operation Coach coaches serve as AmeriCorps members for the duration of their service term, which is 900 hours, not to exceed a full year.
About AmeriCorps State and National
AmeriCorps State and National programs provide thousands of Americans each year the opportunity to improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Funded by the Corporation of National and Community Service (CNCS), a federal agency, AmeriCorps works hand in hand with local partners, tapping the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation.
CNCS invests in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. Up2Us Sports is a proud member of the AmeriCorps community.
AmeriCorps members are not employees of the Program or of the federal government. The definition of"participant" in the National and Community Service Act of 1990 as amended applies to AmeriCorps members. As such, "a participant (member) shall not be considered to be an employee of the Program in which the participant (member) is enrolled" ((42 U.S.C. 12511(30) (B)). Moreover, members are not allowed to perform an employee's duties or otherwise displace employees, and therefore generally not eligible to receive unemployment compensation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Up2Us Sports coaches serving through AmeriCorps must complete their assigned term of service listed above not to exceed a 12 month period. During the term of service, the Coach will serve in a direct service role.
Additionally, the Up2Us Sports AmeriCorps Coach will:
· Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events
· Perform data collection activities such as directed by your Up2Us Sports Program Manager
· Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
Up2Us Sports AmeriCorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
· Completion of the minimum required hours of service and training by last day of coach contract
· Attendance at the Up2Us Sports Coach orientation
· Completion of twice monthly America Learns reflection logs at an 80% level or higher
· Completion of timesheets
· Attendance at a day of service
· Attend/participate in Up2Us Sports trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
· Attend Coach Training Institute (date to be announced by Up2Us Sports Program Manager)
Coaches must wear Up2Us Sports branded t-shirts provided by Up2Us Sports with AmeriCorps logo when coaching and at program sessions and events.
Member Eligibility & Qualifications
· AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents.
· Members must be 18 years old.
· Members must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED or it’s equivalent.
Restrictions on Eligibility for Benefits
If a candidate has participated In:
· Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits.
· Four AmeriCorps National Direct or State service terms, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis, the candidate is ineligible for benefits.
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
· Failed to disclose to Up2Us Sports any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
Start Date: July 31st, 2017
End Date: July 31st, 2018
Total Hours/Weekly Hours
900 hour service term - Aprox. 24-26 hours per week.
AmeriCorps Living Allowance & Segal Service Award
Living Allowance: $7,770.00
Segal Service Award: $2,907.50
Inquiries should be directed to:
Bobby Gendimenico, Program Manager, UP2US Sports,
- Physical Education
- Sports Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Up to a 900 hours - aprox. 25 hours per week
- Training August 1st, 5th-9th