Homework House Inc.
Commonwealth Corps Technology Education Specialist
The mission of the Commonwealth Corps is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages and backgrounds in service to strengthen communities, address unmet community needs, and increase volunteerism.
Commonwealth Corps members with Homework House will serve 10.5 months in a full-time capacity. What they have in common is a desire to put their talents and ideas to use in the service of their communities and the Commonwealth.
Homework House is a place where children growing up in Holyoke’s most economically challenged neighborhoods can experience learning success. Our free after school tutoring and mentoring program has transformed the lives of hundreds of kids, boosting their engagement with school and learning while improving their reading and math skills. The Commonwealth Corps Technology Education Specialist’s objective will be to increase Homework House’s capacity to better serve the children who come to us through improved use of educational technology.
- Complete a minimum of 1500 hours of service, serving through June 24, 2017.
- Attend all required Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA (minimum of 6 total) and Homework House including a new member orientation on August 15 & 16, 2016.
- Participate in a minimum of 1 hour of MSA-related activities each week (in person or virtually)
- Plan, implement and document fun and engaging computer-related activities for children, tutors and families that support the children’s acquisition and development of reading and math skills.
- Optimize computer usage by children and staff by researching and recommending enhancements to system capabilities and performance
- Welcome parents to program sites as visitors, observers and participants;
- Research and recommend appropriate educational technologies
- Maintain accurate data, records, and files to document all activities conducted and services provided.
- Participate in weekly team and site meetings and weekly supervision meetings with Education Coordinator
- Massachusetts residency and legal authorization to work in the United States
- 18 years of age or older
- Proficiency in common Windows applications (Office, Photoshop etc.)
- Facility with HTML/CSS
- Experience with or interest in volunteerism and community engagement
- Ability to balance service commitment with other family/work/school/community commitments in a sustainable way
Preferred· At least two years of coursework in computer-related sciences or equivalent· Strong written and oral communication skills· Strong interpersonal and human relations skills.Member Benefits:
- Stipend of $479.16 every other week while in service up to $11,500 minus taxes and withholdings;
- Health insurance (full-time members only, individual coverage only);
- Completion award of up to $2,000 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings;
- Training and other professional development opportunities;
- Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities;
- Limited travel reimbursement from Homework House for certain service-related travel away from their usual service location, according to that agency's policies;
- The opportunity for at least or 10 days of planned absences (may include holidays); and
- Opportunity to join with others with a common sense of purpose as part of the Commonwealth Corps.
Pleasenote that receipt of these stipends/benefits may impact an individual’s eligibility for certain public benefits.Term of Service:
- PositionStart Date: August 15, 2016
- PositionEndDate: June 24, 2017
- Service commitment will average 38-40 hours per week, Monday-Friday 11AM-7PM, plus approximately one evening/month.
- To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Christie Elman at email@example.com.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP, with priority given to those applications received before June 1 st 2016.
Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal offender and sexual offender background check.
Homework House will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. Homework House welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.
- People Skills
- Website Programming
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- See description
- See description