CT Food Justice Project VISTAs
WhenSat Aug 06, 2016 - Sat Aug 05, 2017
Where24 Hyde Ave.Vernon, CT 06066
Passionate about Food Justice? Interested in working with a team of diverse and inspiring food system change agents? Join the Connecticut Food Justice VISTA Project!
The Connecticut Food Justice VISTA Project is seeking 13 AmeriCorps VISTA-Volunteers in Service to America- members for the 2016-2017 year to fight poverty through capacity building at a local level in Connecticut.
The Connecticut Food Justice VISTA Project seeks to build the capacity of high-impact organizations focused on community food security and food justice. With VISTA Member support, organizations commit to empowering underrepresented populations to have meaningful input on food-related programs and services. Organizations will share best practices and learn new skills in engaging people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
VISTA Members in the project will: 1. Participate in a collaborative forum for sharing best practices and curriculum among 10 project sites and 13 VISTA Members. 2. Build the capacity of each organization to empower under-represented populations 3. Create, expand and enhance the services offered by their host site by fundraising, managing volunteers, convening the community, surveying the community, enhancing awareness of food insecurity and injustice, and much more. University of Connecticut Extension, in partnership with some of the most effective and innovative nonprofit organizations in Connecticut, is coordinating the fourth year of this multi-site project beginning in August 2016.
Seeking VISTAs for the following positions across Connecitcut:
- Connecticut Food Bank - Engagement, Wallingford
- Connecticut Food Bank - Procurement, Wallingford
- FRESH New London, New London
- Ledgelight Health District, New London
- GROW Windham, Willimantic
- Green Village Initiative - Urban Farm, Bridgeport
- Green Village Initiative - Youth Empowerment, Bridgeport
- Green Village Initiative - Community Gardens, Bridgeport
- City of Bridgeport, Bridgeport
- Council of Churches Greater Bridgeport - Food Access, Bridgeport
- New Britain ROOTS, New Britain
- New Haven Farms, New Haven
- FoodShare, Bloomfield
- **if any link is down it is temporary
VISTA members serve full-time for 12 months at host site organizations to build capacity. VISTAS receive a living stipend. In addition to the living stipend, VISTA members are eligible for a $5,775 education award upon successful completion of service. VISTA members also receive on-going professional development and training as well as continuous support.
- Resource Development / Management
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- One year of service