Interested in lending a hand to someone facing a serious illness? Then, come join a Care Team!
What is a Care Team?
- A group of 3-6 volunteers who are matched with a Care Partner who is in need of compassionate, non-medical support
- You can sign up as an individual, or bring your friends/co-workers/faith community/neighbors to join you
- We only ask for a commitment of 4 hours a month, and will match you with a Care Partner in your preferred geographic location
- The Care Communities will provide each Care Team member with training and continuous support
Who are Care Partners?
- Neighbors in our community who are living with a terminal illness (typically cancer or hiv/aids) and are in need of practical, non-medical, support
- Care Partners range in age from 3 months to 101 years old
- Most are unable to work, and about 90% live at or below the poverty line
- Part of the thread of our community strength and joy!
What does "practical support" mean?
- It could mean a variety of things, depending on what Care Team members are interested and comfortable with
- Visiting the Care Partner
- Phoning to socialize and assure the Care Partner that someone cares
- Providing transportation to appointments
- Assisting with light housekeeping, yard work, cooking, or special projects
- Socializing by playing cards, watching a video together, or going to a movie, mall, park, or a community event
- Providing supportive child services
- Listening and allowing the Care Partner to laugh and to cry without judgment
- Providing pet care
- But most importantly, The Care Communities Care Teams provide a sense of love and care by being there for someone who might otherwise feel isolated, alone and without community
To volunteer please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ask for the Outreach Coordinator at 512-459-5883 ext. 707
- Child Care
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Patient Care
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per month based on volunteer's schedule
- one-time 3 hour training