Overview: The Program Associate sets up and manages in entirety one to two after school Peer-to-Peer (P2P) tutoring programs, Expo's flagship program, in Ghana's Ashanti Region. The Program Associate (P.A.) will be in charge of working with local staff, government officials, local leadership and Ghanaian education professionals to set up and run his or her programs.
This is a full time unpaid position (housing, SIM card, internet modem, and small move-in stipend provided) perfect for someone looking to gain experience living and working in Africa without having to pay program fees. In addition to running Exponential Education programs, you will also work closely with fellow Exponential Education staff, Ghana Education Services, the Ministry of Education and Ghana National Service to contribute to the delivery of secondary projects. These include but are not limited to our Girls Leadership programs and entrepreneurship programs. There is also opportunity for P.A.s to support the organization's communications and social media, and fundraising efforts, including grantwriting.
Commitment: Exponential Education expects a minimum commitment of 4 months, with the potential to extend pending performance and organizational funding.
Job Description: The Program Associate will play an essential role in the day to day operations on the ground in Ghana of Exponential Education. The direct supervisor for all P.A.s is the Director of Operations. He/she will be responsible for working with their assigned school district to set up and coordinate our after school peer-to-peer tutoring programs with the headmasters of selected schools, working with teachers to build a curriculum for each program, overseeing the program several days a week, monitoring student progress, and finally holding a graduation ceremony to celebrate the students accomplishments at the end of 10 weeks. The role involves coordinating with various stakeholders, working on a daily basis with junior and senior high school students, and representing Exponential Education to local education and government officials.
Duties Also Include:
- Creating a budget and managing program funds
- Assistance with grant writing and fundraising for programs
- Completing accounting, attendance, and evaluation reports for each program on a weekly basis
- Communicating regularly with the Director of Operations in Ghana
- Purchasing and managing necessary supplies for each program
- Meeting with teachers to determine curriculum needs
- Monitoring and evaluating student progress through periodic progress exams
- Collecting and recording demographic data on student participants
- Identifying new schools and districts suitable
Qualifications: We are looking for early career candidates with a passion for youth and development who are interested in gaining practical field experience on the ground in Africa. Passionate individuals who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- 4-year University degree
- Preferred prior working experience in Africa
- Experience tutoring, teaching, or working with youth and young people
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Culturally aware and sensitive
- Able to work well with people from different backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Professional demeanor capable of representing our organization appropriately to communities, teachers, students, and district administration
- Self-motivated and responsible, working well both in a team setting and with little oversight
- Comfortable working remotely with staff both in the US and Africa
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable working in a foreign environment
- Passion for international education, development, and supporting children in Africa is a must
Preferred Start Date: September 1, 2016
Compensation: This is an unpaid, full time, volunteer position as currently Exponential Education puts nearly all of its funds into supporting children and running our programs in Africa. We do not charge any program or other additional fees, and we will provide a small move in stipend and complimentary shared housing, a local phone or new SIM card, and internet at our office.
Program Associates are expected cover the costs of their flight to Ghana, health insurance and vaccinations, visa fees, and other miscellaneous costs. In country we provide all of our Program Associates with 24/7 support, airport pickup and transport to work site, extensive training, introductory meetings with important officials, and accommodation in one of our volunteer houses. Program Associates will have direct support and assistance from our entire team both in Ghana and in the United States at all times. Prior to departure we will work closely with the Program Associate to provide them with a wealth of resources as well as connecting them with our US based fundraising team.
Benefits: Upon completion of service, Exponential Education is prepared to assist with letters of recommendation and helping with job placement, using our considerable network of NGOs both in the United States and in Africa. This is a unique opportunity to gain both first hand field experience on the ground in Africa as well as time in a leadership role. We invest considerable time and resources in the professional development of our program associates with the hope that they will then be able to re-invest this same development time into the teachers and students they work with in their respective districts. We do ask that every team member launch their own fundraiser to help mitigate program costs, but there is no requirement on funds raised. We do not charge any program fees and 100% of the money raised by program associates is invested into the schools and communities you will serve in Ghana.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to ExponentialEducationProgram@gmail.com. In addition, in your cover letter, please confirm that you understand the voluntary nature of this position and can commit to being in Ghana from September 1, 2016 through December 2016.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 4 months