The WiderNet Project, a Chapel Hill non-profit organization, seeks volunteers with a affinity for technology!
Since 2001, The WiderNet Project has provided training and coaching on information technology solutions for underserved areas of the world. Their off-line eGranary Digital Library is installed in over 1,000 locations, from 26 African counties, to locations across India and Papua New Guinea, and a dozen U.S. correctional facilities.
More information about the WiderNet Project can be found at:
Our eGranary Digital Library has expanded to 4TB and now contains ten million documents. We need computer tech volunteers now more than ever as we maintain this exciting endeavor.
Typical volunteer opportunities on this team include:
- Programming databases and/or the eGranary Digital Library
- Design new low-powered systems for areas with unreliable electricity
- Develop Wi-Fi and GSM alternatives
Volunteers receive training and work alongside experts in computer technology. As part of the team that represents the core of WiderNet, volunteers collaborate with staff to enhance our technical developments.
- Database Administration
- SQL / MySQL
- Basic Computer Skills
- Security / Network Administration
- PC Platform
- IT Consulting
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Publicity Team
- Engineers Bridging the Digital...
- Bridging the Digital Divide
- Artists and Designers Bridging...
- eGranary Content Team and...
- Fundraisers Bridging the Digital...
- Systems Management Team
- Advocate for Education in Prisons
- Journalists Bridging the Digital...
- Technological Development
- Computer Tech Team