As development encroaches on wildlife habitat, PAWS' nationally recognized wildlife rehabilitation center rehabilitates sick, injured and orphaned animals and educates people about peaceful co-existence with wildlife.
Purpose of the Position:
Interns assist and support professional Rehabilitators in the daily care of wildlife patients. Interns gain valuable, practical experience in species identification and natural history, proper husbandry techniques, animal handling, tube-feeding of mammals and birds, medication administration, lab work, and other procedures. Internships are intense, physically demanding and fast-paced.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Hand-feed infant mammals (includes tube feeding)
- Set up and clean animal enclosures
- Preparing diets (includes dead prey)
- Administer daily medications
- Laundry, dishes and general cleaning
- Other tasks as required
Applicants must be current college students, recent graduates or career changers, possess a strong interest in wildlife rehabilitation and be able to:
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Work independently and as a part of a team
- Perform tedious tasks for long periods of time
- Do rigorous outdoor work in all types of weather
- Perform physically demanding tasks and lift up to 40 lbs
- Work quickly and efficiently while precisely following instructions and protocols
- Internships are available year round
- Successful candidates must commit to a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks
- Interns work 40+ hours per week including weekend and holiday work*
- Interns are UNPAID
- Housing and transportation assistance is NOT provided
*Limited part-time internships are available. Please indicate your preference for full or part time in your application.
If you are interested in applying for an internship at the PAWS Wildlife Center, please see the Wildlife Internship Application Process at www.paws.org.
- Environmental Science
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 40 hours per week for 12+ consecutive weeks