Do you believe it is better to reuse and recycle consumer goods and books instead of throwing them away? Can you drive a box truck? Are you able to lift and move boxes of books? Might you be available during week day hours to travel to schools and libraries to collect unwanted books and then bring them back to our Booksavers warehouse?
Come volunteer at Ephrata Re-Uzit with Booksavers!
Booksavers collects donated books and processes them to be sold online, to be sold in our Furniture & Books store, or to be recycled.
Three GREAT reasons to get invovled with Ephrata Re-Uzit:
1. Our stores provide quality clothing, books, furniture, housewares, and more to local families at affordable prices.
2. We are very environmentally-minded: not only does thrift encourage and enable the responsible use and reuse of consumer goods--we recycle everything that we can't sell in our stores.
3. Proceeds from our stores benefit Mennonite Central Committee--an organization that has been operating relief, development, and peace programs at home and around the world since 1920.
A Volunteer Truck Driver with Ephrata Re-Uzit Stores, Inc. works out of the Booksavers warehouse located at 1054 South State Street Ephrata, PA 17522.
This position is on an as-needed basis but would generally require availability at least one day a week, between 8:00am and 3:00pm (or until 4:30pm in rare instances). Shifts and days vary and are scheduled as requests for pick ups are received.
1. Committed to the Mission and Principles of Operation of the Ephrata Re-Uzit Stores
and the ministry of the Mennonite Central Committee.
2. Has experience driving a similar truck and would be comfortable driving (rural, highway, and city) and backing our box truck.
Booksavers Truck Details: 2000 Freightliner; diesel; stick shift; 30’ length; 12’6" height; 21,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight; 10,000 lbs. unladen weight; hauls 8 pallets; has lift gate
3. Able to lift at least 50 lbs.
4. Able to load boxes of books onto pallets and use a pallet jack to load pallets onto the truck.
Position duties include :
1. Drive the Booksavers box truck to and from pick up locations (generally schools, libraries, and colleges typically within a 50 mile radius of Ephrata).
2. Communicate with school personnel (on the phone or in person) upon arrival.
3. With help from another Booksavers volunteer or employee, load boxes of books onto skids and load skids on to the truck using a pallet jack.
4. Upon returning to the Booksavers warehouse and again with help from another volunteer or employee, unload skids of books into the warehouse.
Please note: Booksavers is open 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday. Unforntunately, we have no evening or weekend volunteer opportunities at Booksavers.
- Truck Driving
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Typically 8 hour days; As needed basis