Alzheimer's Association - Support Group Facilitator - Porter/LaPorte area
We are looking for 1-2 volunteers in Porter/LaPorte area to facilitate or co-facilitate a support group for caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias. The support group creates an environment for caregivers to receive/share support and education with others on a monthly basis.
- Knowledge of and willingness to learn about and keep current on Alzheimer’s disease and its impact on families.
- Pertinent professional background and/or personal experience with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Comfort with the expression of a wide array of emotions
- Ability to separate personal needs from group needs.
- Strong listening skills.
- Must not be a current caregiver.
- Attend basic and on-going training designed to provide current information, enhance skills and network with other support group facilitators.
- Promote member participation in chapter programs and services, distribute chapter literature and information, and submit monthly attendance sheets/report forms to chapter office.
- Help make/maintain arrangements for meeting room
- Notify the chapter office of support group meeting changes in a timely manner.
- Ensure confidentiality within the group. Group member names and addresses are confidential and can only be released to the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Conduct group meetings in accordance with the policies and procedures outlined by the Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Indiana.
- Inform the Alzheimer’s Association of any questions and/or concerns related to the support group.
- Potential volunteers will attend new Support Group Facilitator/Volunteer training that will include: overview of Alzheimer's disease, mission and resources of the Alzheimer's Association, guidelines, starting an Alzheimer’s support group, group process, group dynamics, group maintenance, and group evaluation.
- Attend and observe an existing support group meeting is required. Contact existing facilitator prior to observation.
- On-going trainings as required.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities or to submit an application, visit our website: http://alz.org/indiana/in_my_community_participate.asp
We'll work with your schedule.
La PorteLa Porte, IN 46350
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours a month/1 year minimum commitment