Florida 4-H is the Youth Development Program of UF/IFAS Extension Education. 4-H functions at the county level to connect youth ages 5-18 to their communities and develop essential life skills. The essential elements of belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity work together, along with project-based learning, to enable youth to become successful and contributing members of society.
4-H Community Club Leaders contribute to the success of the 4-H Youth Development Program by providing direct service to youth through organizational leadership and supervision for a group of 4-H club members and project leaders in an atmosphere which reflects educational quality, teamwork, and cooperation. Together with youth and other volunteers, club leaders coordinate club activities, give guidance and direction, and serve as the primary contact person for the club with the County Extension staff and the Florida 4-H program.
It is important that club leaders:
- believe in the importance of positive youth development and the need to provide young people with out of school learning opportunities
- believe in the value of the 4-H Program
- have effective written and oral communication
- have excellent organizational skills
- are willing to work as a team member with County Extension staff, other volunteers, and 4-H families
Broward County 4-H Community Clubs meet in locations throughout the county.
4-H Project Areas include Animal Science, Citizenship, Cooking & Nutrition, Dogs & Cats, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Electricity, Engineering & Robotics, Embryology, Entomology, Fishing, Gardening, Goats, Horses, Leadership Development, Marine Ecology & Marine Sciences, Money Management, Outdoor Education, Poultry, Sewing, Veterinary Science, Visual Arts, Woodworking, and MORE!
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- About 10 hours per month, depending on club size
- Club Leaders are required to undergo a Level 2 Background Screening/Fingerprinting