St. Anthony’s (FCP) is San Francisco’s largest free clothing program serving both individuals and families. FCP provides warm clothes, interview and employment apparel, and children’s clothing to low-income families and individuals, including those who are homeless. We refer to the people we serve as our "guests."
One of the biggest obstacles for our guests seeking a job is obtaining appropriate job interview clothing. One of our guests named Steven B. said it best: "I don’t even feel comfortable filling out a job application, let alone going on a job interview, because my clothes are dirty and smelly." To remedy this, the Free Clothing Program operates a free suit room to provide brand new suits and shoes to our male guests who are unemployed and seeking work.
The Suit Specialist will be a volunteer lead in our Free Clothing Program Suit Room. He or she will assist our guests by identifying their clothing sizes, helping them choose appropriate job interview clothing, and work with guests to find a suit that fits their needs. Such service provides men not only with a fitted new suit, but also gives our guests a confidence boost that can enhance prospects for a new job.
Duties & Tasks:
- Welcome guests to the suit room and review what items guests may receive.
- Assist and instruct guests on how to determine their clothing sizes.
- Assist and instruct guests on how to put together an appropriate job interview outfit.
- Help guests find a well fitted suit for their needs.
- Stock racks with the highest quality clothing possible.
- Maintain a clean and professional shopping environment.
- Customer service or retail experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to be professional, polite, and tactful with our guests and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Ability to successfully volunteer with a diverse client population including people who are homeless and/or low-income, and people with physical and/or mental health disabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent volunteer habits: professional, punctual, reliable, cooperative and team oriented.
- Ability to volunteer with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours/week
- Minimum 16 years old.