City Vision Internships is a Christian one-year, multi-year or summer internship program based on the AmeriCorps model. Interns serve at one of over 40 positions across the USA and Canada. In the past 10 years, we have placed over 500 full-time interns and 68,000+ volunteers in hundreds of Christian ministries.
Job Description : At Westwood United Methodist Church we make disciples of Jesus Christ by:
- Reaching People with the Gospel and loving them as we meet their real needs. ? Growing People through God?s Word and through Worship equipping every individual for ministry
- Serving People in the church and in the world
Duration: ? Sunday May 29, 2016-May 2017
-A growing disciple of Jesus
-Eagerness to lead and be self-motivated in planning, creating, and implementing programs
-Willing to work on a team
-Able to supervise, mentor, and lead teen interns
Job summary: In the summer, the primary task is to plan and implement the programming for a 7- week day camp for students in 1st-6th grade with a focus on spiritual formation, fun, and reading. During this Day Camp college interns will oversee a budget and help supervise teen staff as well. Other responsibilities will be helping with Sunday morning activities, and assisting in VBS. Each week the college interns will meet together in a small group and will be engaged in summer reading geared around discipleship and Christian leadership. During the remainder of the year (Fall-Spring) students will be able to gain a broader experience in urban ministry, working with children, teens, and adults.
During the year the interns would be involved in a number of projects with children, teenagers, and adults. We partner with Westwood Elementary School with over 10 church volunteers serving in classrooms and for field trips. Interns will start an afterschool program during the week for elementary students. The kids club will consist of recreation, art, devotions, academic help, and a meal. Currently we have an afterschool basketball program on Monday and Wednesdays which consists of recreation in the gym, devotions, and a healthy meal. Interns will help build relationships with the teenagers and expand our afterschool program. Interns would also help lead our Sunday children's program, teaching lessons for Sunday School and working with our volunteers. During the week there is children's ministry and youth ministry on Wednesday evenings and we have Upward Basketball from December-March.
My Neighbor's Place (westwoodmnp.org) which is a Christian community development organization that is a worshipping community that offers a clothing closet, food pantry, community meals, job placement, community gardening, (partnering with The Jubilee Project), and Celebrate Recovery. One responsibility would be to help neighbors in crisis link up with the available resources. There would also opportunity for teaching Bible studies on site. Interns would also have the opportunity to plan at least one large event, using their gifts and passion, as well as participate in community outreach events (like VBS in a Box, Block Parties, Neighborhood Cleanup).
Benefits: For Interns without a Bachelors Degree: One Year Work Study Internship
- Provides a work study internship with free tuition in City Vision College for a full year paid by hosting ministry.
- Online courses providing accredited degrees in Nonprofit Management, Addiction Studies, Urban Mission, and Business Administration.
- Any Pell grant or other federal financial aid paid as cash payment to student (up to $5,645).
- Expectation is typically 29 hours of volunteer work with 16 hours of class work per week (45 hours total).
- At least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Must be a Christian
- U.S. or Canadian citizen, U.S. or Canadian national or lawful permanent resident alien, or have a valid student or work visa
- Able to make at least a one year (or summer) commitment (may be extended by mutual agreement)
- Able to financially live on just free housing (and stipend if you opt for the One Year Paid Internship) and any outside income sources you have.
- Able to relocate to a location of a ministry site (unless a site exists at your current location)
- Child Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training