Join an exciting non-profit, which is growing the tree canopy of Washington DC, by spreading news of tree plantings and other "green" projects along Washington’s most famous international street.
Restore Mass Ave seeks a Digital Associate to update its website http://restoremassave.org (Wordpress) and social media (Facebook & Twitter) Also desired is to improve our Tree Care Blog (blogger.com) and to create occasional e-news items for distribution (Mailchimp). Estimated hours and work locations are flexible, but the Associate must be able to visit the Embassy Row part of Massachusetts Avene easily, for photography and coordination with RMA leaders.
Below is a description of RMA's mission and why the Digital Associate is a key position and great opportunity. Skills required and preferred are in bulleted lists.
Retore Mass Ave's mission: Digital Associate is key
Restore Mass Ave is a volunteer-run non-profit that is growing the trees and historic landscape of the Embassy Row part of Massachusetts Avenue, in Washington, DC. RMA engages in landscape restoration along the two miles of the avenue, west from Dupont Circle, because it may be the last "grand avenue" streetscape in the nation.
So far more than 330 trees have been added. More than 70 owners of the lovely buildings along the avenue participate, including ~40 foreign embassies. RMA also works with city agencies, Casey Trees, business and civic groups.
A key RMA mission is educating a wider audience about our tree selection, tree care, and relevant DC policy and other developments, through the web site and digital media.
relevant DC policy and other developments, through the web site and digital media.
The group has an opportunity to engage a wider audience, thanks to its award-winning new brand and web site and recent online growth.
We seek a Digital Associate volunteer to take our website, social media and e-news a new levels. Note: This ad covers updates to the website, social media, and e-news. Applicants with great skills for one or two of these r ô les should feel free to apply.
The Associate would develop a strategy and goals, in consultation with the RMA President and Board. (The President is currently Site Editor and principal blogger. There is a professional programmer to handle complex or novel programming and security.)
The Associate will generate web site and social media updates and post them timely in keeping with the strategy. The Associate may craft and RMA’s occasional e-news, which generally are based on previously posted news.
The Associate will share progress with the Board, preferably by attending some Board meetings. As a member of the RMA family, the Associate is welcome to participate in other projects, such as outdoor Treekeeping.
This a great opportunity for someone seeking a track record in digital communications, especially in urban forestry and environment. Though this position is proposed for three months, the Associate may continue as mutually agreed.
- Develop a strategy and goals for RMA’s web site and social media consultation with the group’s leaders.
- Execute the strategy by timely updates to the site and social media.
- For the web site, draft text and photo updates, and schedule of updates. Post timely as approved by the Site Editor.
- Update RMA Twitter and Facebook pages with the organization’s news.
- Browse the web for tree-related activities in DC and other urban tree news to broaden the appeal of RMA social media. Propose and post these as approved.
- Post organization news on RMA’s Tree Care Blog (blogger.com)
- Draft items for the group’s occasional e-mail updates (Mailchimp).
Review and update the site’s Resource pages links.
- In keeping with a near and long-term strategy, improve RMA’s site and social media as a go-to hub about urban tree care, research, and DC tree and environmental news.
- Organized, forward-thinking, deadline-driven. Relevant track record.
- Concise written English; good proofreader.
- Fluent in Word Press, html, Hostgator CSS.
- Track record in successful Twitter & Facebook.
- Track record in email distribution (Mailchimp or Constant Contact).
- Blogging experience (Tree Care Blog is with blogger.com)
- Familiar with Search Engine Optimization and Google Analytics.
- Informed or interest in learning about urban forestry, environment issues for informed posting.
- Preferred, not required
- Able to create/edit videos for posts.
- Lives and/or works near Dupont Circle and the Embassy Row part of Massachusetts Avenue.
- Able to attend some Board meetings (informal, after working hours)
- International background, foreign language or career interest.
- Track record database management and Event Brite.
We seek someone who can create text with images, in final or near-final form, and takes care when posting. We seek a team player to collaborate easily with the Site Editor and others. Given the administrative and time limits of RMA’s President and Board Members, the position is a great opportunity for independent work. In fact the Digital Associate has the career opportunity to make RMA’s site and social media stand out as a go-to hub for news of this dynamic organization, and related DC tree and environmental news.
Schedule: Days and times are flexible, but could average ~3 hours/weekThe position is for approximately three months but may be extended.
Location: Lives and/or works near the Embassy Row section RMA project area; able to visit, observe, photograph, and create posts about the trees, projects, partners, and breaking news. Able to meet with Site Editor and other RMA project leaders.
About Us: Restore Mass Ave’s mission is to restore trees and landscape along Embassy Row in northwest DC ,which could be the last "grand avenue" streetscape in the nation. We must communicate effectively with many foreign embassy personnel, government officials, other DC residents across generations to create a new environmental landmark in the nation’s capital.
Send a brief cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media / Blogging
- Website Programming
- Content Management Systems
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- flexible but est 3 hours/week
- Lives/works near Embassy Row in Washington, DC