Special Opportunity: Become a Goodwill Greenhouse Volunteer!
In a new and exciting partnership, Tree Pittsburgh and Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania will work together to grow tree seedlings in the Goodwill Center’s greenhouse in Lawrenceville. We are seeking dedicated volunteers to engage with Goodwill Clients to grow and care for the seedlings. This program is designed to share the many benefits of horticulture with those with disabilities or disadvantages; including people with development disabilities, youth in transition, veterans, and seniors.
What does a Goodwill Greenhouse Volunteer Do?
Caring and friendly individuals who take on this volunteer responsibility will be relied on to do the following:
- Assist the nursery manager and staff to periodically sow seeds and care for seedlings in the Goodwill Greenhouse in Lawrenceville.
- Provide guidance to Goodwill Clients on seed sowing and care of the seedlings.
- Engage with Goodwill clients during workshops or greenhouse events.
- Independently lead short greenhouse events. (Training will be provided)
What Are the Requirements?
- Friendly and welcoming personality.
- Some horticultural experience a plus.
- PA child abuse and criminal clearances are required.
- A consistent 3-4 weekday hours per week commitment is requested.
- No experience is necessary, we will provide all the training you need!
Who are Goodwill’s Clients?
Goodwill offers an exceptionally broad variety of programs and services for people with disabilities, disadvantages and other special needs. They include:
- An array of education programs that range from Adult Basic Education classes in reading, writing and mathematics, to computer training, to English as a Second Language, to driver training.
- Job training and workforce development programs to help people find employment.
- Youth programs to help young people in the Greater Pittsburgh area whose potential might be overlooked to pursue employment and career development opportunities.
- Community services including a senior center for people with developmental disabilities, a variety of residential programs, and a food pantry.
What are Clearances?
Tree Pittsburgh and Goodwill require that those working with children or individuals with disabilities unsupervised submit to a Background Check at the applicant's expense. (Only Pennsylvania residents may apply.) This includes two separate screening forms: Child Abuse Clearance and a Criminal Record Check. You can perform the record checks online here:
Pennsylvania Child Abuse: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
Pennsylvania Criminal Record: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
You may submit previously completed documents if dated within one calendar year of your application.
What’s in it for you?
Besides lots of sunshine, friendly co-workers and free exercise, Tree Pittsburgh Nursery Volunteers enjoy the following special benefits!
- Individual, hands-on horticultural training
- Enrollment in the Tree Nursery volunteer rewards program
- Participation in R.S.V.P., a volunteer rewards program for those over the age of 55
- Discounts at Goodwill stores
If you think you would be a good fit for the Goodwill Greenhouse Volunteer Position, please contact Megan Palomo at email@example.com or 412-781-8733.
For other volunteer opportunities and listing of nursery events, please visit www.treepittsburgh.org/events
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4 weekday hours per week commitment is requested
- Pennsylvania child abuse and criminal clearances