Purpose: To make a difference in the lives of individuals who are at risk of living in a "food-insecure" environment.
Position Summary: Provide general support for the Food Distribution Program. This position focuses on making supplemental groceries available to households meeting specific financial and residential requirements. All volunteer positions are expected to support the creation of "community" through development of positive, cooperative relationships with clients and other volunteers.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- 11:30-1pm - Meet at the New Room. Drive downtown to Crossroads Community Services to pick up and load bulk food. Unload food at New Room.
- 1-3 - Meet at the New Room to repackage food. Sack groceries into bags using a shopping list specific for each registered household.
- 3:30-5:30 - Distribute sacks of groceries to clients. Meet and Greet new and returning clients. Assist at clothes racks. Give information about upcoming classes and share health tips. Make follow-up phone calls when clients miss their scheduled pick-up appointment. Register new clients.
- 5:30-7:30 - Same as the 3:30-5:30 shift. Clean up and reset the room.
- Give Food Manager sufficient notice if unable to keep shift assignment.
- Other duties as needed.
Friendly, enjoy talking with clients, smiles easily, patient and understanding.
Work well with people of a variety of cultural, religious and economic backgrounds.
Work well as part of a team.
Self-motivated, enthusiastic, positive outlook and dependable.
Physical ability to push, bend, stretch, reach and lift.
Willingness and ability to work independently.
Ability to arrange items in numerical and alphabetical order.
Access to a pick-up is helpful.
Bilingual skills are a plus!
1 st Wednesdays and/or 3 rd Wednesdays
Select one shift: 11:30-1pm; 1-3; 3:30-5:30; or 5:30-7:30
The program operates every month.
Training is provided.
- Customer Service
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1st and/or 3rd Wednesday. 2 hour shifts