Shirley Heinze Land Trust's mission is to protect and restore significant natural area and to inspire people of all ages to appreciate and enjoy nature. Shirley Heinze Land Trust owns over 2100 acres of natural land in 18 different preserves or project areas in Lake, Porter, LaPorte, and St. Joseph Counties.
This program is designed for volunteers to help maintain the 17 miles of hiking trails on Shirley Heinze Land Trust nature preserves. Individuals, families, or groups agree to maintain a section of trail at one of the preserves. Scouts, fraternities, sororities, and school groups are encouraged to participate. Volunteers are asked to make a 6-month commitment and may engage in the following activities:
- Walk the trail at least once a month
- Provide staff with routine updates on the current conditions and needs of the trail
- Pick up litter and debris
- Help maintain boardwalks, bridges, and benches
- Trim grass, brush, and low-hanging limbs
- Outdoor Recreation
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- 1 visit per month for 6 months.
- Monthly visits to preserve may take 1 - 2 hours each.