SNAP at the Farmers Market
38 people are interested
Farmers Market SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as foodstamps) volunteers help provide access to healthy local produce for low-income individuals in their communities. Through grants and generous donations, Fairfax County Farmers Markets now match SNAP purchases up to $20 per market visit for additional produce! Our work with the SNAP program puts healthy food on the tables of our most vulnerable citizens, while providing additional income to support small sustainable family farmers.
- Welcoming customers, introducing them to the market, explaining how the SNAP at Market program works, offering tips and shopping advice.
- Performing SNAP transactions, accurately dispersing market tokens and recording transactions.
- Entering market data at the end of each market day into the FMtracks data entry system.
- Taking pictures, recording testimonials of SNAP program success stories.
- Coordinating with the SNAP Outreach intern on program promotion.
About Fairfax County Farmers Markets
4603 Green Spring Road, Alexandria, VA 22312, US
Food matters for your local community's health, environment, and economy!
Join our team to help provide fresh, healthy produce to Fairfax County residents straight from local farms.
We are looking for Market Masters and Assistant Market Masters to manage and evaluate the Fairfax County Farmer Markets once per week for a six-month season.
This volunteer opportunity is a fun way to help bring fresh, healthy, local produce to your community and livelihood to local farmers. All Fairfax County markets overseen by the Park Authority are run by our local Market Master vounteers. It is these volunteers who make it possible for the market to function, providing on the ground support to ensure markets run smoothly.
We are looking for 2-3 farmers market volunteers (Market Masters & Assistant Market Master) per market (11 in Fairfax County) to oversee the weekly operations and provide insight into ways in which markets can be improved. Volunteers should be outgoing local food enthusiasts, who enjoy connecting community members with local farmers.
We'll work with your schedule.
2501 Sherwood Hall LaneSherwood Regional LibraryAlexandria, VA 22306
- Project Management
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible, opportunity available 5 hours per week
- regularly volunteering (1x-2x per month)