The Trustees is looking for gardeners, both experienced and beginner, to help us continue the tradition of a community garden at Westport Town Farm, 830 Drift Road. A former refuge for the community’s poor and infirm, this coastal landscape boasts a centuries-old farmhouse and pastures bracketed by stone walls. A variety of heirloom vegetables, perennial flowers and a cutting garden are planned for this amazing landscape. In keeping with the Farm’s history, the harvest’s bounty will be donated to local organizations and food banks. Weekly gardening is scheduled each Friday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. starting May 18 until early November 2018. Tools will be supplied each Friday, but it is recommended volunteers bring their favorite work gloves, water, snacks, sunscreen and bug spray.
* Express interest
* Able to work as part of a team
* Able to follow directions
* Attend volunteer orientation, to be scheduled
* Maintain communication with Steward Staff and Property Ambassador
* Log volunteer hours weekly
* Have reliable transportation to the farm
* A love of gardening and the outdoors
* Ability to work independently or as part of a team
* Willingness to work outdoors
* Ability to use hand tools (such as hoes, trowels, dibbles) safely and effectively
* Ability to kneel, lift up to 10 pounds, pull and dig
* Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass or uneven surfaces
* Dress in appropriate clothes and footwear
* Ideal candidates would be able to commit to a consistent weekly schedule
* Minimum age: 17; under 16 will require a parent or guardian to be present
Time Commitment Needed
3 hours on Fridays, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., May 18- early November 2018
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
- People Skills
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 17
- Fridays May 18 - November, 2018, 9 am-12 pm
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Gardening Volunteer - Dunes'...
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Invasive Species Control...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Barnyard & Livestock Volunteer -...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Communications Intern - Bradley...
- Drop-In Tuesday Gardening -...
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Wednesday Garden Crew - Haskell
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...