The Trustees is looking for gardeners, both experienced and beginner, to help us continue the tradition of a community garden at Westport Town Farm, 830 Drift Road. A former refuge for the community’s poor and infirm, this coastal landscape boasts a centuries-old farmhouse and pastures bracketed by stone walls. A variety of heirloom vegetables, perennial flowers and a cutting garden are planned for this amazing landscape. In keeping with the Farm’s history, the harvest’s bounty will be donated to local organizations and food banks. Weekly gardening is scheduled each Friday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. starting May 5 until October 27. Tools will be supplied each Friday, but it is recommended volunteers bring their favorite work gloves, water, snacks, sunscreen and bug spray.
* Express interest
* Able to work as part of a team
* Able to follow directions
* Attend volunteer orientation, to be scheduled
* Maintain communication with Steward Staff and Property Ambassador
* Log volunteer hours weekly
* Have reliable transportation to the farm
* A love of gardening and the outdoors
* Ability to work independently or as part of a team
* Willingness to work outdoors
* Ability to use hand tools (such as hoes, trowels, dibbles) safely and effectively
* Ability to kneel, lift up to 10 pounds, pull and dig
* Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass or uneven surfaces
* Dress in appropriate clothes and footwear
* Ideal candidates would be able to commit to a consistent weekly schedule
* Minimum age: 17; under 16 will require a parent or guardian to be present
Time Commitment Needed
3 hours on Fridays, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., May 5-October 27, 2017
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 17
- Fridays May 5 - Oct 27, 2017, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Gardening Volunteer - Powisset...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Fall Farm Festival Volunteers -...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Bricklayer/Mason - Bradley Estate
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Drop-In Tuesday Gardening -...
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Children's Public Program...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...
- World's End Ambassador
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...
- Greenhouse Assistant Volunteer -...