The Trustees is looking for gardeners, both experienced and beginner, to help us establish a community garden at Westport Town Farm, 830 Drift Road. A former refuge for the community’s poor and infirm, this coastal landscape boasts a centuries-old farmhouse and pastures bracketed by stone walls. A variety of heirloom vegetables, perennial flowers and a cutting garden are planned for this amazing landscape. In keeping with the Farm’s history, the harvest’s bounty will be donated to local organizations and food banks. A mandatory volunteer training and orientation will be organized for early May, with weekly gardening scheduled each Friday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. starting May 13 until November 4. Tools will be supplied each Friday, but it is recommended volunteers bring their favorite work gloves, water, snacks, sunscreen and bug spray.
* Express interest
* Able to work as part of a team
* Able to follow directions
* Attend volunteer orientation, to be scheduled
* Maintain communication with Steward Staff and Property Ambassador
* Log volunteer hours in a timely fashion
* Have reliable transportation to the farm
* A love of gardening and the outdoors
* Ability to work independently or as part of a team
* Willingness to work outdoors
* Ability to use hand tools (such as hoes, trowels, dibbles) safely and effectively
* Ability to kneel, lift up to 10 pounds, pull and dig
* Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass or uneven surfaces
* Dress in appropriate clothes and footwear
* Ideal candidates would be able to commit to a consistent weekly schedule
* Minimum age: 17
Time Commitment Needed
3 hours on Fridays, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., May 13-November 4, 2016
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, email@example.com
To explore other volunteer opportunities visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 17
- Fridays May 13- Nov 4, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Bricklayer/Mason - Bradley Estate
- CSA Harvest Crew - Weir River Farm
- Field Assistant Volunteer -...
- Holiday Event Planner - Bradley...
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Event Volunteer - Ames Estate
- Children's Public Program...
- Property Ambassador - Governor...
- Property Ambassador - Francis...
- Event Assistant - Haskell Garden
- Carpenter Volunteer - Charles...
- Wednesday Workday Corps -...
- Saturday Drop-In Volunteer -...
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...