About the Coach Across America Program at Up2Us Sports
Up2Us Sports is a coalition of more than 1,200 nonprofit organizations that believe in the power of sports to fight childhood obesity, end academic failure, and reduce gang participation. Up2Us Sports’ flagship program is Coach Across America (CAA), a national coach/mentor program that places, trains, and supports coaches to provide meaningful experiences to youth in a variety of sports programs nationwide. More than 1,800 Coaches have provided opportunities for more than 284,000 youth to be active, learn skills, and stay out of trouble through sports.
About AmeriCorps State and National
AmeriCorps State and National programs provide thousands of Americans each year the opportunity to improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Funded by the Corporation of National and Community Service (CNCS), a federal agency, AmeriCorps works hand in hand with local partners, tapping the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation.
CNCS invests in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. Up2Us Sports is a proud member of the AmeriCorps community.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
CAA Coaches serving through AmeriCorps must complete their assigned term of service listed above not to exceed a 12 month period. During the term of service, the Coach will serve in a direct service role.
Below are some examples of roles which our coaches fulfill.
After-school Sports Coach:
The Coach will be responsible for creating a lesson plan or following after-school curriculum supplied by the sub-site. The Coach will lead a team or class in specific sports activities or general playground games. The Coach will use Up2Us Sports and sub-site training to cultivate positive team culture and mentor youth.
Structured Recess Coach:
The Coach will be responsible for creating a lesson plan for structured games and activities for recess. Coach will lead one or more classes in structured team-oriented games. The Coach will use Up2Us Sports and sub-site training to cultivate positive team culture and mentor youth.
Physical Education Assistant Coach:
The Coach will be responsible for partnering with lead Physical Education teachers in creating a lesson plan and following school curriculum supplied by the sub-site. The Coach will help lead a class in specific sports activities or general physical education activities. The Coach will use Up2Us Sports and sub-site training to cultivate positive team culture and mentor youth.
Additionally, the AmeriCorps CAA Coach will:
- Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events
- Perform data collection activities such as directed by your CAA Program Manager
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
CAA AmeriCorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
- Completion of the minimum required hours of service and training by last day of coach contract
- Attendance at the CAA orientation
- Completion of twice monthly America Learns reflection logs at an 80% level or higher
- Completion of timesheets
- Attendance at a day of service
- Attend/participate in CAA trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
- Attend Coach Training Institute (date to be announced by CAA Program Manager)
Member Eligibility & Qualifications
- AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents.
- Members must be 18 years old.
- Members must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED or it’s equivalent.
List specific site qualifications/eligibility requirements:
Restrictions on Eligibility for Benefits
If a candidate has participated In:
- Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits.
- Four AmeriCorps National Direct or State service terms, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis, the candidate is ineligible for benefits.
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
- Failed to disclose to CAA any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
- Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 900 hours over a year; apps 24-26 hour per week
- Attend training August 1st - 4th