People Incorporated is currently seeking an Adult Education Mentor/Tutor !
Teaching reading is a complex undertaking, especially when the learner is an adult. Unlike children, adult learners cannot spend several hours in a classroom every day. Most adults learning to read find it difficult to attend classes at all; Emotional factors such as motivation, engagement, and fear of failure play a major role in reading success. These feelings can be especially intense for adults, particularly for learners who have spent years struggling with reading and hiding their inability to read from family members, friends, coworkers, and employers.
Our ideal candidate will be a student teacher, current educator, or someone with experience working in a related field. Also must be familiar with working with people who are chronically homeless, live with physical disability and/or mental health diagnosis.
Our clients may be at any level in their reading development, from beginning readers working on the fundamentals to more advanced readers ready to begin study for a high school level equivalency diploma.
The goal of this position is to assist our clients in:
Decreasing anxiety around reading
Enhance reading comprehension
Increase reading speed and fluency
Enhance focus and learn to actually enjoy reading!
If this sounds like you, please contact our volunteer department at 651-288-3483 to schedule an interview or email volunteer@ peopleincorporated.org
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 days per week, up to 2 hours, 3-6 months
- 18 years or over, Education or Teaching background a plus, Mantoux TB test
- Interested in Mental Health?...
- Are you proficient in American...
- Are you a compassionate,...
- Office Support / Administative...
- Piano Teacher
- Barbers, Beauticians,...
- Create Holiday Cards for...
- Interested in Mental Health? Be...
- Create Birthday and All Occasion...
- Interested in Psychology/Social...
- Intersted in Psychology/Mental...
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Onsite Service Coordinator...
- Administrative Support,...