Butterfly House Docent
13 people are interested
Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
The butterfly house docent will act as an interpretive guide for guests to the exhibit, providing information regarding things such as the different butterfly species, their lifecycle, connection to native plants, and importance as pollinators. They will also assist the Naturalists/Animal Care Coordinator in the upkeep of the butterfly house exhibit. This may include tasks such as watering plants, removing spider webs/pests, monitoring the emergence box, collecting deceased butterflies, identifying new caterpillars or chrysalis’, etc.
- Tolerance for various organisms including insects, snakes, spiders, amphibians, etc.
- Ability to interact well with children, teens and adults
- Ability to work well with other volunteers and interns
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiastic, flexible, and energetic
- Must be able to pass criminal background check
- Must be 18 years of age or high school graduate
- Ability to identify caterpillars, butterflies, and native plants a plus!
Flexible 1-4 hour time slots can be selected based on your availability.
- The Moth and Butterfly House is open daily from 10am to 3pm. Other hours available upon request.
We'll work with your schedule.
Irvine Nature Center11201 Garrison Forest RoadOwings Mills, MD 21117
- Animal Care / Handling
- Environmental Education
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour shifts, weekdays and weekends