PRS CrisisLink is a community-based nonprofit organization that serves individuals living with mental illness, substance use disorders, mild intellectual disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, and all individuals who face life crises.
We are seeking empathetic, non-judgmental, and caring volunteers to answer our suicide and crisis prevention texts for our PRS CrisisLink Textline program, located in Oakton, Virginia.
TEXTLINE VOLUNTEERS receive over 50 hours of specialized online and in person training via Adobe Connect, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), and Counseling on Access to Lethal Means (CALM). A training fee of $100 is required and covers the materials provided to each trainee. Volunteers must have their own computer and reliable internet access for both training and weekly shifts. Volunteers who complete their commitment can receive letters of recommendation.
For training sessions, priority will be given to those applicants who are available to cover shifts in our areas of highest need and call volume. Shifts available daytime, evenings and weekends. Applicants are subject to a screening process and interview.
The Textline is a remote volunteer opportunity for the Washington DC/Northern Virginia metro area. Learn more about the commitment and requirements.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be willing to meet the challenge by committing to 150 hours of service (with one 4 hour shift per week for one year, or two shifts per week for 6 months) after successful completion of training.
- Must attend one refresher training and one in-service training per each year of service.
- Must be able to access reliable transportation to PRS' administrative or program offices.
- Must be empathetic, non-judgmental, and be responsive to the feelings of texters.
- Ability to make sound decisions under pressure and be able to problem-solve with minimum supervision.
TRAINING FEE: A non refundable training fee of $100 is required and covers the materials provided to each trainee. The fee is payable at the time of acceptance into the training program.
To see the full training information, visit:
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- One 4 hour shift per week for 1 year