We have selected training dates for our next class! ASIST training will occur on March 24th and 25th. In Person Hotline Training will occur April 14th and 15th. All four training dates are required for the volunteer position.
PRS CrisisLink is looking for empathetic, non-judgmental, and caring volunteers to answer our suicide and crisis prevention texts for our CrisisLink Textline program. Our volunteers are committed to saving lives and preventing tragedies. Last year, we handled over 35,000 calls and over 1,000 texts on our crisis texting lines. Thanks to our highly trained volunteers, our crisis and suicide prevention hotline and textline operates 24/7 to support individuals facing a life crisis or suicide, and connect them to community resources, empowering individuals to help themselves.
1. Respond to text messages or chats by greeting users and establishing rapport through skills such as acceptance, empathy, objective listening, non-judgmental posture, non-directive conversation, and respond to the feelings of the users.
2. Explore the users emotional and psychological state using active, positive, comforting, and problem-solving language; following established protocols; identifying warning signs of suicide or severe crisis; and assessing the degree of users risk for suicide.
3. Provide safety and security with good contact skills and assure them of their confidentiality and privacy by confirming that any information shared by the user is kept confidential unless imminent risk is present.
4. Provide referrals to resources; call for emergency medical treatment and/or police intervention, if necessary.
5. Participate in educational opportunities provided by and through PRS CrisisLink to stay current on job-related knowledge; a minimum of 5 hours of refresher training post initial 60-hour training is required.
6. Complete administrative tasks as assigned by the PRS CrisisText Connect Supervisor.
7. Work one 4-hour shift per week for the duration of one year.
8. Follow procedures regarding planned absences and emergency situations.
1. Must have successfully completed mandatory PRS CrisisText Connect Online and On-the-Job Training.
2. Excellent listening and written communication skills; ability to type with standard English proficiency.
3. Computer experience and proficient typing skills.
4. Have a consistent and password-protected internet connection.
5. Have a personal, family or work computer with password protection (with Chrome, Safari or Firefox installed).
6. Have space to work in which others cannot see my screen (i.e. not a coffee shop, library or other public setting).
7. Have a keyboard and a US based phone number.
8. Must be able to access reliable transportation to PRS’ administrative or program offices.
LOCATION: Remote - At a private, stagnant location (no driving or no public spaces where others could see your computer screen). However, volunteer must be able to access reliable transportation to PRS’ administrative or program offices when necessary.
Please note; The PRS CrisisLink call center will be relocating in March/April 2018 from our current location in Arlington, Virginia to our new location in Oakton, Virginia.
TRAINING FEE: A non refundable training fee of $100 is required and covers the materials provided to each trainee. The fee is payable at the time of acceptance into the training program.
To see the full training information, visit:
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- One 4 hour shift per week for 1 year