Powisset Farm is just one of The Trustees thriving community supported agriculture programs. We are currently looking for enthusiastic people who share our love of the outdoors and wish to contribute to maintaining our non-certified organically grown produce and flowers by joining us for Saturday Drop-In opportunities which will focus mostly on greenhouse tasks. All ages are welcome, but children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
* Assist with greenhouse duties including, but not limited to cleaning trays, seeding, watering seedlings, repotting of seedlings, filling trays for seeding, fertilizing and hardening plants off.
* Assist with cleaning up at the end of the day and organizing tools and equipment.
* Maintain hygienic greenhouse conditions in order to stifle the growth of weeds, pests, and plant disease within the greenhouse.
* Monitor for pest and disease pressure.
* Additional tasks may also include any of the following, depending upon need:
o Harvest, prep, inventory, and record keeping
o Prep for distribution and sale a variety of seasonal vegetables
o Weeding fields (by hand or by specialized hand tool), laying row cover, staking and tying tomatoes
o Transplanting of seedlings and hand scale direct seeding
* Wear closed toe shoes at all times. We also suggest that you wear pants, however to do so is optional. Because the greenhouse can be very bright, we suggest wearing a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Don’t forget your water bottle!
* Maintain communication with the farm crew and the farmer
* Log volunteer hours weekly
* An eagerness to participate in the work of growing food
* Able to use hand tools (such as hoes, trowels, dibbles) safely and effectively
* Able to recognize crops from weeds in the field
* Able to follow instructions and work in a team
* Ability to stand for extended periods of time and ability to bend
* Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass or uneven surfaces
Time Commitment Needed
Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., April -- November. Weekly sign-up required; meet at kiosk day of event for further instructions.
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, email@example.com
To explore other volunteer opportunities visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 3 hours weekly on Saturdays, April - November
- Sign up required; meet at kiosk day of for further instructions
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Bricklayer/Mason - Bradley Estate
- CSA Harvest Crew - Weir River Farm
- Field Assistant Volunteer -...
- Holiday Event Planner - Bradley...
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Children's Public Program...
- Property Ambassador - Governor...
- Property Ambassador - Francis...
- Event Assistant - Haskell Garden
- Carpenter Volunteer - Charles...
- Wednesday Workday Corps -...
- Saturday Drop-In Volunteer -...
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...