Greenhouse Assistant - Powisset Farm
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
9 people are interested
Powisset Farm is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm located in Dover, Massachusetts. Throughout the spring, the farm is a buzz, preparing for the upcoming CSA season, and we welcome committed volunteers to assist us. The property is a happy and bustling gathering space for our community and we would love to have you join us. This position will be held on Wednesdays from March through June from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. Volunteers may continue to assist on Wednesdays throughout the summer with projects out in the fields, if they are available. Come learn more about farming as you work along side our farm staff. Many skills you learn will be transferable to your own home gardens.
* Assist with greenhouse duties including, but not limited to cleaning trays, seeding, watering seedlings, repotting of seedlings, filling trays for seeding, fertilizing and hardening plants off
* Assist with cleaning up at the end of the day and organizing tools and equipment
* Maintain hygienic greenhouse conditions in order to stifle the growth of weeds, pests, and plant disease within the greenhouse
* Wear closed toe shoes at all times while working in the greenhouse. We also suggest that you wear pants, however to do so is optional. Because the greenhouse can be very bright, we also suggest wearing a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Don’t forget your water bottle!
* Maintain communication with the farm crew and the farmer
* Log volunteer hours
* Prior greenhouse/field experience is a plus, but not essential
* Willingness to learn and work hard is required
* Be able to stand for entirety of shift
* Be able to lift 25 lbs.
* Must have legible handwriting and the ability to read a spreadsheet
* Knowledge of horticulture is helpful, but not required
* Minimum age: 16 years old
We ask for a seasonal commitment, Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
About The Trustees of Reservations, Southeast Region
396 Moose Hill Street, Sharon, MA 02067, US
The Trustees of Reservations preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts.
Who We Are
We are more than 100,000 people like you who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting them, for everyone, forever.
Together with our neighbors, we protect the distinct character of our communities and inspire a commitment to our special places. Our passion is to share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures we care for.
What We Do
We enjoy and care for more than 100 special places - nearly 25,000 acres - all around Massachusetts. And we are actively building an extended family of friends and neighbors across the state that can help in their different ways.
What We Are Up Against
Through more than 100 years of hard work and high standards, The Trustees have built a sterling reputation and a stunning physical legacy.
Today, the places we care about are going fast, and the forces undermining them, including climate change, are moving faster. We need to tap the wellspring of people’s joy - in their communities, their heritage, and the natural world - and mobilize a whole new generation to care.
We'll work with your schedule.
Powisset Farm37 Powisset StDover, MA 02030
- Critical Thinking
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Wed and/or Fri, 9 am - noon
- Committed volunteers preferred