Searching for volunteers willing to take 1 or more puppies into their homes to foster until they are ready for adoption.
Fostering puppies is a little different than fostering adult dogs. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- For most breeds, the puppies should not be left alone for more than 4-5 hours. Larger breed dogs might be ok alone for 6 hours maximum.
- Foster parents should be available to take the puppies to vet appointments. Ideally, fosters should be no more than 30 minutes from one of our vets (Uptown, Plymouth or Edina).
- Foster families will be asked to set up meet and greets with little notice and in a timely manner. Puppies are usually quite popular and adopters are eager to meet them.
- Foster homes need a safe area to set up a pen, provided by Underdog, so the puppies have their own space.
- Resident pets should be comfortable with and tolerant of an energetic puppy or two coming into their home. Playing with larger or older dogs should be discouraged for safety.
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Varies according to the needs of the puppies.