Location: YWCA’s Domestic Violence Shelter at a confidential location in Santa Clara County.
Purpose: To provide Shelter residents with guidance in developing essential life skills to enhance individual empowerment, self-sufficiency, independence, and personal well-being.
- Support Shelter residents in the development of life skills in any of the following based on personal knowledge: employment, education, finance management, time management, meal planning, parenting, networking, transportation, health, self-care, housing, negotiation/conflict management, healthy relationships, communication, decision-making, stress-management, relaxation techniques, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Before and after providing support, consult with the Shelter employee on-site.
- Interact with sensitivity to the needs of individuals affected by trauma.
- Work in compliance with all legal requirements and organizational policies.
- Maintain Counselor/Victim Privilege of Confidentiality as legally required.
- Mandatory: Immediately report to a supervisor any known instance of child abuse/neglect, elder abuse, and dependent adult abuse.
- 1+ year of experience in 3 or more of the following: Employment, education, money management, time management, meal planning, parenting, networking, transportation, health and self-care, housing, negotiation/conflict management, healthy relationships, communication, decision-making, stress-management, relaxation techniques.
- Interest in learning about domestic violence and the needs of victims/survivors.
- Ability to listen actively and respectfully, and respond with warmth, compassion and empathy.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, be open to feedback, and seek input from others.
- Ability to work with/support individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to empower victims/survivors by providing emotional support, resources, tools, and options based on what the individual is requesting, avoiding words and actions based on personal bias.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
Training & Other Requirements:
- Completion of the CA State-mandated Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr Training (hosted by the YWCA).
- Completion of additional training /orientation sessions to develop personal comfort level with providing Shelter residents with guidance and assistance in developing essential life skills.
- Clearance on a background check, including fingerprinting.
- Submitted documentation that confirms an absence of active Tuberculosis.
- Maintain Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor Certification by completing 8 hours of Mandatory Continuing Education and Training (MCET) within each 12month period from the date of completion of the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr training.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 100 hours of service (post-training).
Volunteer 2+ hours per week, on a mutually convenient schedule.
YWCA Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, immigration status, socio-economic status, familial/marital status, veteran status, medical status, being differently-able, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Ranges from 2-3 hrs/week to 6+ hrs/week