Sharing the Harvest is a volunteer-driven community farm established in 2006 as a grassroots effort to fight hunger and help feed our neighbors in need. Thanks to the help of the Hunger Commission, donors and thousands of volunteers, we donate 100% of our produce and cage-free eggs to local hunger relief programs in New Bedford, Fall River and Wareham.
We have regular farm field volunteer hours March-November,Monday-Wednesday from 9am-12pm and 2pm-5pm, and on Saturdays from 9am-12pm. You may choose to stay the entire shift or stay for an hour, we are grateful for any time you can donate.
All work is done outdoors, rain or shine. Our most common tasks are planting seeds in the greenhouse, transplanting seedlings into the fields, cultivating crops and harvesting the mature plants. We also wash, weigh, and record the produce totals prior to donation. There are also chicken care opportunities. We provide all the necessary tools and training. No experience necessary!
As farm field volunteer you can...
- Help fight hunger
- Improve the lives of children and families in your community
- Connect with nature while learning about agriculture and food origination in an outdoor setting
- Meet new friends while volunteering alongside like-minded community members
- Learn about hunger, food origination, agriculture and volunteer stewardship
How to Dress
You will get dirty!
- Wear comfortable old clothes and closed toed shoes that you don’t mind getting muddy
- Long pants and long sleeve shirts are recommended
- Dress for wind, prepare for rain
- Brimmed hat
- Do not wear sandals, flip flops or high heels
- Do not wear anything valuable, including jewelry
What to Bring
- A water bottle
- Insect repellant
- Gloves- we provide communal gloves, bring your own if you are particular
- An open-mind
- A positive attitude
Each individual volunteer visit produces an average of 137 servings of food to be donated in our local community.
We welcome individuals and groups of all sizes and abilities. For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at (508)993-3361 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Outreach
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment