**Please Note: Before inquiring, please have a group of 10-20. We specialize in student travel, but are open to adults as well. Through our partnership, students have the opportunity to earn 3 hours of transferable college credit with Bethel University.
This particular service program offers students the opportunity to participate in several different service initiatives including teaching and improvement of both the school and dormitory facilities. The experience will provide students with a new perspective on the obstacles that are preventing growth in these rural communities and allow them to practice implementing solutions to these challenges first hand.
A Bright Light Volunteer representative can help you identify the right service project for your group. Some of the current/ongoing service projects include, but are not limited to:
- Improving outside play areas for the children
- Building a projector screen in the children’s salon de juegos so that the children can make use of it for both lessons and film nights
- Constructing computer and homework desks for the children
- Creating a vegetable garden on site to grow food for the children
- Building bookshelves for the children’s books- many are now in storage due to lack of space to store them
- Painting class rooms
- Sewing and installing curtains in the dorm rooms
- Providing computer classes and instruction
- English language instruction and practice
Hands-on cultural activities (that are all optional and can be built into your customized itinerary) include a tour of the Colca Canyon, touring the famous Santa Catalina Convent, and an overnight excursion to visit Puno and Lake Titicaca to experience the man-made floating islands. Other special opportunities include a half-day excursion to the Huaynacotas village, passing the amazing Andean terraces on the way there and taking in the Luicho thermal baths on the way back to Tomepampa.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14