Guatemala has endured a tumultuous past, but since the late 1990s this nation- the largest and most populous in Central America- has grown its economy and has begun to flourish under successful democratic elections that have led to both positive economic and social reforms. Tourism- especially eco-tourism- in the area is on the rise and many new jobs are being created. Opportunities abound for those that have English language skills and a sufficient educational background.
With that said, there is plenty of work to do to make Guatemala’s future brighter. While Guatemala has broken from it’s dictatorial past and is experiencing economic growth, there are many segments of the population that still struggle with high rates of poverty and a limited access to educational support.
Bright Light Volunteers works in the very calm and laid back town of San Pedro in Northern Guatemala, where groups can come and create an experience of a lifetime while working on educational and conservation projects that will improve the lives.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Improving Shanty Towns in Lima
- Teaching English in Cusco
- Help us spread the word about...
- Reborn Expedition: Cambodia
- Need Khmer Translation and ESL...
- Out of Isolation: Albania...
- Pura Vida: Costa Rica
- Volta Vibrancy: Ghana
- Cuba Unlocked: Trinidad, Cuba
- On the Rhode to Better: Rhodes,...
- Peruvian Perspective: Arequipa,...
- Mundo Maya: the Guatamalan Journey
- Good at powerpoint? We need help!