ORGANIZATION: Sound Learning is a dynamic community-based adult and family education organization offering innovative, quality basic skills (reading, writing, math, GED Prep, HS 21+ diploma & computer skills) and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) programs to adult learners and their families in Mason and Thurston Counties. We work with trained community volunteers to provide 1:1, small group, and classroom-based instruction. We are committed to learner-centered education that addresses participants' goals and priorities, and is based on a collaborative model
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Sound Learning Children's Program provides a supportive atmosphere in which children of adult immigrant learners participate in fun and educational activities that promote language learning and social development. Children get help with homework, do art projects, play games, and participate in quality learning opportunities. Ages range from 3-12 years old. The volunteer student will help to plan and implement engaging, educational and age-appropriate activities in collaboration with community volunteers. The volunteer will maintain and organize materials in the children's program, and help to support other volunteers. Training provided.
DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS OF VOLUNTEER:
- Interest and enthusiasm for working with children.
- Interest in working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Sensitive and adaptable to learners' differences.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on projects.
- Willingness to learn from others and accept feedback.
- Commitment to bettering lives through education.
- No previous teaching experience necessary.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- Able to commute to downtown Shelton. Carpooling and public transportation options available.
COMMITMENT: Classes take place Tuesday and Thursday from 6-8:30 pm at Choice High School in Shelton. It is preferred that volunteers commit to a minimum of two quarters ( 6 months) with the organization.
BENEFITS: Gain experience working with children; planning/implementing age-appropriate activities; program coordination. Achieve a broader cultural understanding, make a difference in the lives of others, and participate in a dynamic learning community!
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Care
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 6 month commitment