ORGANIZATION: Sound Learning is a dynamic community-based adult and family education organization offering innovative, quality basic skills (reading, writing, math, GED Prep, HS 21+ diploma & computer skills) and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) programs to adult learners and their families in Mason and Thurston Counties. We work with trained community volunteers to provide 1:1, small group, and classroom-based instruction. We are committed to learner-centered education that addresses participants' goals and priorities, and is based on a collaborative model
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Tutor adult students in basic skills (reading, writing, math, GED or diploma prep) or ESOL using learner-centered approaches and best practices. Teach in one-on-one, small group, and classroom settings. Develop educational materials and activities. Help assess learner progress. Maintain student records and work with literacy staff to ensure learner needs are met. Assist with office support/special projects as necessary. Tutor training and professional development opportunities provided.
DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS OF VOLUNTEER:
- Sensitive and adaptable to learners' differences.
- Accepting of people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Patience and enthusiasm.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on projects.
- Commitment to bettering lives through education.
- Willingness to learn from others.
- No previous teaching experience necessary.
- Able to commute to downtown Shelton.
- Carpooling and public transportation options available.
COMMITMENT: Hours and schedule are flexible. ABE Classes are currently held Monday -Thursday 10:30-12:30. ESOL classes are currently held in both Thurston and Mason counties. In Mason county classes occur on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:00 to 8:30 pm. There are also opportunities to work individually with students on a more flexible schedule. It is preferred that volunteers commit to a minimum of two quarters with the organization.
BENEFITS: This job provides hands-on experience in adult basic education, lesson planning, and education program management. Make a difference in the lives of others and participate in a dynamic learning community!
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3-5 hours per week; 3-6 month commitment