Advancing Responsible Young Citizenship in Mississippi
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
9 people are interested
Advancing Responsible Young Citizenship
Incidents of violence, disruption, disrespect, bullying, and verbal and physical intimidation often occur in our schools and our society, posing significant challenges for a fair and just society.
Significant voids exist in U.S. citizenship education, especially relative to young people. Searches of popular data sources reflect little relevant citizenship education content other than as related to immigrants. There’s little likelihood that our schools will make significant progress in citizenship education given current financial and testing constraints.
Although several organizations and websites operate in the area of the U.S. Constitution and citizenship, they don’t focus on younger people in a demographically relevant and attractive way.
Effective citizenship education and awareness will help improve our ability to exchange ideas and make good decisions and improve government of society. [Review of the Effects of Citizenship Education; Educational Research Review, p 170; 2013]. Also, as stated by James Madison: "A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both."
Advancing Responsible Young Citizenship Education in Mississippi addresses this lack of demographically relevant and attractive citizenship education content through two primary activities:
- Peer Based Content Development Activities produce citizenship education materials in a variety of mediums and formats demographically relevant and attractive to young people to help stimulate reflection and discussion for citizenship awareness and responsible engagement
- Citizenship Education Stakeholders Forums to explore and share current and proposed activities to educate and increase responsible citizenship engagement among young people
Help make significant improvements in our community by volunteering with us.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Office Management
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per month minimum
- Must complete 2-hour orientation