Assist teachers in preparing students for Citizenship and English as a Second Language. Training is provided. Good interpersonal skills required.
Using tutoring techniques (training is provided), guide and provide practice for students learning civics and the English language. Conduct mock interviews in preparation for a formal immigration interview. Work in partnership with a classroom teacher to engage in both language drills and casual conversation to offer an opportunity for students to practice their language skills. Provide students with assurance and confidence during classroom interaction. Volunteers will work in partnership with the staff of community-based organizations, and will use resources and training developed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of the Midway, and will be entitled to all benefits of the Midway volunteer program.
Requirements: A commitment of one class period per week, at the same classroom for a period of one school semester and completion of Midway and partner organization application, including Live Scan and TB test.
- Adult Education
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week for a minimum of one semester
- Meaningful Work as a Citizenship...
- Share Your Navy Experience
- Ship Restoration on the Midway
- Seeking World War II Veterans
- Fun Group Project Aboard the USS...
- WEEKEND Docents (Tourguides)...
- Safety Volunteers Wanted!
- Overnight Education Program...
- Naval Aviators Wanted for...
- Citizenship Tutor
- American Sign Language Interpretor