Location: YWCA Silicon Valley, Linda Haskell Empowerment Center, 375 South Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112.
Purpose: To provide emotional support, resources, tools, and options for members in our community who have been affected by sexual assault and/or domestic violence through the Support Line.
- Answer telephone calls made to the YWCA’s Support Line.
- Engage in respectful and active listening. Provide callers with support and information.
- Interact with sensitivity to the needs of individuals affected by trauma.
- Provide and connect callers with information on YWCA/community services and personnel.
- Between calls, support day-to-day operations through participation in Support Line-related activities, including administrative tasks.
- Conduct in-person crisis counseling appointments after demonstrating all required qualifications (for example, sitting-in on in-person crisis counseling appointments with a Counselor).
- Work in compliance with all legal requirements, and organizational and departmental policies.
- Maintain Counselor/Victim Privilege of Confidentiality as legally required.
- Mandatory: Immediately report to a supervising employee, the Supervisor, and/or the Director, any known or suspected instance of child abuse/neglect, elder abuse, and dependent adult abuse.
- Interest in, and a commitment to, continuous learning about sexual assault and domestic violence and the needs of victims/survivors.
- Ability to listen to callers actively and respectfully, and respond with compassion and empathy.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, be open to feedback, and seek guidance from others.
- Ability to work with/support individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
Training & Other Requirements:
- Completion of the CA State-mandated Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr Training(hosted by the YWCA).
- Clearance on a background check, including DOJ & FBI fingerprinting.
- Maintain Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor Certification by completing 8 hours of Mandatory Continuing Education and Training (MCET) within each 12month period from the date of completion of the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr training.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 100 hours of service (post-training).
Volunteer 3 hours or more each week, on a mutually convenient schedule.
YWCA Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, immigration status, socio-economic status, familial/marital status, veteran status, medical status, being differently-able, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Crisis Intervention
- Problem Solving
- Crisis Counseling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Ranges from 3+ hrs per week