This position is intended to provide qualified interns with an experience of working one-on-one with refugee clients from all over the globe. In this role, the intern will have the opportunity to refine his/her inter-cultural communication skills, expend his/her knowledge base a variety of cultures, and observe the refugee experience from arrival to the U.S. through the initial phases cultural adjustment.
- Assist in conducting public transportation orientation (MARTA) for newly arrived refugees
- Assists with new arrival airport pick-ups and apartment set-ups
- Assists in initial orientation session to the United States for newly arrived families
- Visits refugee families to assess their needs and progress toward self-sufficiency by introducing general American cultural concepts through explanation and example:
- Provides assistance with community orientation and home management
- Instructs clients with social adjustment activities (public transit/shopping/budgeting/etc.)
- Completes case file documentation
- Attends meetings with outside stakeholders along with New American Pathways staff members
- Assists clients in scheduling and attending appointments
- Assists in grocery shopping for clients
- Ability to communicate with people of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds; cultural sensitivity
- Strong organization skills; the ability to multitask and maintain focus in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to gain understanding of basic refugee experience; sensitive to the refugees’ histories
- Basic computer skills
- Bilingual skills are a plus, but not required not required
Interested candidates may submit their application, resume and cover letter to Mary Cash at firstname.lastname@example.org, no phone calls please. This is a non-paid internship. Students may receive credit.
- Administrative Support
- Resource Development / Management
- Case Work / Management
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Submit resume & cover letter to Mary Cash at email@example.com
- Development Intern
- Housing Intern
- Human Resources Intern
- Interior Design Help Needed!
- Volunteer with our after-school...
- Young Women's Leadership Program...
- Vocational Counseling Intern
- Resettlement Intern
- Immigration Intern
- Support Atlanta's Refugee...
- English at Home Volunteer
- Operations Intern
- Communications and Marketing...
- Matching Grant/Financial...
- Afterschool Program Intern -...
- Careers Services Intern
- Finance Intern
- Afterschool Program Intern-...