Job Title: Youth Program Intern
Reports to: Director of Youth Programs
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Responsibility: Assist in growing, implementing, and managing the P.O.W.E.R UP youth program
About Urban Perform:
Founded in January 2012 as a local nonprofit gym, we work to improve the health of families in underserved communities by promoting quality nutrition and active lifestyles. We partner with local organizations to decrease rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes; thus, creating a health conscious change in the community. We provide free fitness and nutrition programs for kids as well as $2 classes in various formats for adults including Circuit Training, Spin, Zumba and Yoga. We currently serve the English Ave, Vine City and Washington Park neighborhoods on the Westside of Atlanta.
About the Position:
This position is offered during the spring, summer and fall semesters. The target population of Urban Perform is predominately non-hispanic Black youths who live in Westside Atlanta communities. Youth program Interns with Urban Perform will have the opportunity to gain experience in many different aspects of the fitness industry, including, but not limited to:
- Comprehensive fitness assessments
- Incentive program development
- Group exercise class instruction
- Create fun and engaging age appropriate workouts
- After school program instruction
- Summer camp program instruction
- Physical Education class instruction
- Professional development and networking
- Candidates for this internship should have a strong desire to work with youth and health/fitness
- Preference of students in their junior or senior year, pursing a BS or BA Degree in fitness, health & physical education, health & wellness, or related field
- Experience/interest in working with youth ranging from elementary aged to high school.
- Preferred course work in exercise testing and prescription, exercise physiology and anatomy, health and physical education.
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are a must
- Group fitness or personal training certification a plus
Assist the Director of Youth Programs in the daily activities of Urban Perform’s P.O.W.E.R UP program.
- Assist in maintaining measurable data for grant purposes.
- Provide additional support to leadership and staff in the areas of planning, management, program execution and communications.
- Assist in fostering relationships among local schools, universities, businesses, and other community youth and education programs to enhance the development of P.O.W.E.R. UP.
To apply for this position please email a cover letter and resume with INTERNSHIP in the subject line to email@example.com. Internships can be done for degree credit and are unpaid.
- Fitness Instruction
- Youth Services
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Background Check when working with children.