Harlem RBI, an award winning youth development program, is seeking volunteer tutors to provide subject-specific academic support to our middle school students in East Harlem and the South Bronx. Tutors work with youth individually and in small groups to help improve student success in class, increase subject-specific retention, and contribute to overall academic development.
What You’ll Do
- Lead weekly tutoring sessions supported by staff and volunteers;
- Support participants with homework completion in a middle school subject of your choice, including: English, Math, Science, and Social Studies;
- Serve as a role model and build positive relationships with youth;
- Strong command of one or more of the following academic subjects: English, Math, Science, and/or Social Studies
- Previous experience working with youth;
- Possess creativity, enthusiasm and patience;
- Solid oral communication skills;
- Ability to make a consistent, weekly commitment;
- Bachelor’s Degree (a plus).
- 1-2 years previous tutoring experience (a plus);
- 1-2 years teaching experience (a major plus);
- Gain invaluable experience and opportunities for professional development at an award winning youth development program;
- Receive an optional professional reference upon completion of your service term;
- Join an incredible community of passionate staff and volunteers.
Hours: At least one 2 hour to 2.5 hour session per week, Monday-Thursday. Times vary between 4:00pm and 6:30pm, based on youth/volunteer availability and program schedule.
Commitment: At least 3 months.
Harlem RBI provides equal opportunity for all volunteers.
Apply here: http://careers.harlemrbi.org/careers/position/volunteer-tutor-east-harlem-ny
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hrs/week