Coach a One Million Degrees Scholar
9 people are interested
One Million Degrees Scholars are highly motivated individuals pursuing their associate's degrees. They have persisted through challenging situations and are striving to reach their full potential and become positive forces in their families and communities. As an OMD Coach, you will bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, and support to an OMD Scholar.
OMD Coaches broaden horizons of career aspirations and possibilities, provide professional insights, model professional norms and behaviors, and encourage scholars through challenges and setbacks. They assist scholars in thoughtful goal-setting, celebrate successes with their scholar and ensure they do not fall short of their potential.
OMD Coach Qualifications:
- Have an education level of at least an Associate's degree (or equivalent work experience).
- Have a passion for supporting community college students with diverse backgrounds, coaching them through challenges, and celebrating their successes.
Requirements to become an OMD Coach:
- Attend a coach info session (30-minute, online session or in-person at your workplace) and coach training (two-hour, in-person session). Multiple info sessions are held throughout the application period, in the spring and summer, and multiple coach trainings are held throughout August and September. Once an application is submitted, One Million Degrees staff will reach out with next steps for signing up for an info session and training.
- Agree to a criminal background check and to abide by One Million Degrees' Coach Code of Conduct.
Once you become an OMD Coach, you will be expected to:
- Participate in one 90-minute Saturday Coaching Session per month during the academic year (September - May) at designated community college. Please note One Million Degrees will have eight program location options for the 2019-2020 academic year. Coaches are assigned to a specific program, and attend sessions at the same location each month.
- Be available outside of Saturday coaching sessions and commit to at least one phone or email exchange with your scholar per month.
- Submit a brief monthly activity report to One Million Degrees staff.
View the map of One Million Degrees' Program Locations: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zL1oONQyKYmk.k6Me-XkdeZJ8
Apply today at: https://onemilliondegrees.tfaforms.net/296302
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About One Million Degrees
226 W. Jackson, Suite 528, Chicago, IL 60606, US
One Million Degrees empowers low-income, highly motivated community college students to succeed in school, in work, and in life. We provide our scholars with academic, professional, personal and financial supports, critical to their success in the classroom and beyond.
Community college students represent the fastest growing student population in America.One Million Degrees is the only organization of its kind in Illinois, and one of the few in the entire country, dedicated to serving them.
Often the first in their families to go to college, One Million Degrees'scholars face more than just financial hurdles. Our innovative, comprehensive program gives them the tools they need to succeed not just academically but in work and in life.
With help from a dedicated community of professionals, educators, donors and volunteers, One Million Degrees' scholars transform their lives, becoming role models in their families and communities. The transformative power of their success will resonate for generations.
Multiple locations in the Chicagoland Region(Chicago, Chicago Heights, Palatine), IL 60601
- Adult Education
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately 2-3 hours per month