Help end the cycle of poverty in DC by joining the GED teaching team at the YWCA!
We are looking for competent, passionate, patient, and reliable volunteers to teach in our evening Adult Literacy and GED preparation program for the Fall term, which will run from September 6 through December 19. We need teachers and co-teachers for Math and Language Arts/Social Studies classes.
Classes take place in the evenings: Mondays - Thursdays 6:30PM - 8:00 PM (Instruction Prep Time: 6:00PM-6:30PM). Math is on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays; and Language Arts/Social Studies is on Thursdays. We ask that volunteers commit to one day a week, although you're welcome to do more!
As part of this volunteer opportunity, you will be asked to:
- Attend pre service orientation / training sessions
- Deliver weekly lesson plans with your classroom team according to overall subject curriculum
- Collaborate with subject based teaching team on a weekly basis
- Suggest new activities/simulations/cases to improve overall learning
- Monitor individual student progress and achievement towards individual learning goals
- Receive assistance/support from Evening GED Program Instructor/Manager whenever needed
Volunteers will receive orientation and training in the following areas:
- Overview of Adult Education Services provided in DC and how the YWCA program is designed to meet the needs of DC residents
- Overview of assessment requirements and how links to student goals
- Overview of how adults learning and special learning needs
- How to use the assessment tools to create curriculum materials
- Direct instruction and practice opportunities with high impact instructional methods
- Successful classroom management strategies
- Direct instruction in understanding and using Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) to enhance instructional efficacy
- Direct instruction on progress measurement and goal attainment methods
Prior traditional teaching experience is not required.
Participating as a Volunteer Instructor at the YWCA is a wonderful way to expand your personal skill set while reconnecting in a deep and meaningful way with the DC community. Participating also offers the rewards of watching your efforts translate into measurable results for the adult student community. Through participation, you will become part of a positive systemic change in the larger DC community, as success in this YWCA program leads to greater opportunities for sustained economic and social stability for our students and ongoing generations of their families.
AND IT'S FUN!!!
Join us as we change the landscape of DC, one personal success at a time.
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check