Do you have a certified pet therapy dog? We are looking for canine good citizens to join our growing hospice program as a furry friend to our patients.
If you have the passion, skills, and a heart full of love and would like to share your therapy dog with us we would love to meet you. Training is required for all handlers:
1. Trained/certified through Therapy Dogs International or Pet Partners.
2. Ability to communicate well with all people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
3. Able to respect confidentiality at all times.
4. Comfortable with the death and dying process.
5. Self-motivation, dependable and responsible.
6. Able to work independently.
7. Able to work in an ever-changing environment.
8. Able to practice proper infection control.
9. Able to maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries.
10. Must be at least 18 years of age.
1. Provide support to patients and caregivers.
2. Provide friendly companionship to patients.
3. Visit patients with therapy dog.
1. Complete a volunteer application form, interview, background check, health screening, TB test or chest x-ray if history of BCG exists per hospice program policy and volunteer training.
2. Provide proof of pet therapy training and documentation of dog's health records.
3. Able to make a commitment of a few hours per month for one year.
4. Maintains open communication with other team members, reporting events or changes in patient condition to the Volunteer Services Coordinator or other interdisciplinary team members.
5. Records accurate, objective, timely documentation of volunteer activities.
6. Completes mandatory in-services annually.
7. Attends volunteer support meetings as needed.
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Animal Therapy
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Time commitment varies.