Join our growing hospice program serving all of Fairfield County including Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, New Canaan, Wilton, Easton, Bridgeport, Stratford, Shelton, Milford, Orange, Oxford, Hamden, New Haven and Wallingford.
Orientation and Training is provided for every volunteer in our Orange and Norwalk Offices. We want you to feel confident and competent. We believe in a team approach in all that we do, so you never feel alone or unsupported. We serve patients wherever "home" is: skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, retirement communities or their own homes.
Patient/Family Volunteer (wherever "home" may be)
* Provide friendly companion visits
* Read aloud, write letters, share an interest
* Provide gifts of music, art, scrap booking (strong need for musicians)
* Actively listen and be supportive in hearing expressed fears and concerns
* Create a written legacy for other loved ones
* Offer prayers and serve as a vigil volunteer (special training required)
Bereavement Volunteer (requires additional training in bereavement)
Volunteers learn the history of hospice, the goals and philosophy of care, and the emotional and spiritual needs of patients at the end of life. They develop the communication skills necessary to comfort and support patients and families and because they spend quality time with patients, they often give valuable feedback to the care team.
*15 hours of training * Commitment of varies from person to person, visits are typically a minimum of 45 minutes per person and can ranged between 2-3 times a week and 2-4 hours per month.
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Time commitment varies.