Offer direction, support, and academic guidance to a student to build their self-confidence and improve their school experience. Several of our programs are looking for tutors to work one-on-one with students in the Gaithersburg and Rockville areas.
Key responsibilities include:
- Attend a new volunteer orientation and interview with the program
- Attend tutoring sessions as scheduled and on time; notify staff in advance of any absence
- Provide encouragement and support while assisting a child through the learning process
- Provide instruction in good study habits
- Observe confidentiality at all times
- Keep staff informed about your tutoring experience, job assignments, or any concerns you may have
- Sensitive and adaptable to student needs
- Acceptance of cultural, economic, and familial differences
- Enthusiasm for working with children
- Commitment to creating a stable, consistent environment for children living in potentially unstable environments
- No previous teaching or tutoring experience necessary
- Must have transportation to and from the tutoring site
We ask volunteers to commit to one session per week Mondays through Thursdays for an hour between 3:30-7:00pm.
Some programs require volunteers to be 18 and older; others welcome high school students as tutors. Anyone 18+ will need to be fingerprinted for background checks.
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1hr/wk Monday through Thursday, 3:30-7:00pm
- Orientation, training, fingerprinting for background checks if 18 years and older