Mission Statement: Caritas provides a service continuum for those experiencing poverty that begins with a safety net and links them to resources to achieve self-sufficiency.
Internship Title: Employment Guide
Volunteers: 6-8 hours a week
Interns:18hrs. a week minimum for a semester
Responsibilities/Projects: Caritas of Austin’s Employment Program serves persons making the transition out of poverty by assisting them with gaining employment. The Employment Guide may assist refugees, low-income family members, veterans, or disabled persons who have experienced homelessness.
The Employment Guide Intern supports the client with job search activities or projects, under the guidance of an Employment Specialist. The Employment Guide may develop new skills in assisting Caritas clients in seeking employment and financial stability. Duties and responsibilities may include the following:
* Serve as a guide and resource to the client engaged in the job-seeking process.
* Coach the refugees in employment language utilized in the United States.
* Assist refugees with limited English skills in completing job applications.
* Accompany refugees in applying for Social Security, shopping, accessing health care, and other acculturation activities.
* Model appropriate dress for meeting prospective employers. (no jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers)
* Submit on-line applications or coach clients in the procedure.
* Accompany women to Dress for Success appointments.
* Practice public transportation skills to new job sites.
* Conduct mock interviews to provide practice for the job applicant.
* Inform Caritas Employment Specialist about the client skill development in the job-search process.
* Complete volunteer timesheets, due at the end of each month to the Employment Specialist.
* Other duties, as agreed upon with the Employment Specialist
* Ability to work independently, under the direction of the Employment Specialist.
* Project driven and see projects through to completion.
* Willingness to work with people who possess little to no English skills.
* Friendly, but always mindful that relationships must be professional, not personal.
* Patient, communicating with cross-cultural sensitivity.
Language Requirement: There is no language requirement for this position although students with a working knowledge of our client languages are strongly encouraged to apply. These languages include but are not limited to: Swahili, Spanish, Nepali, Burmese, French, Tigrigna, Amharic and Arabic.
Working Conditions: Interns will be working in standard office conditions and may be asked to work with clients in community and employment related settings as needed.
Employment Program Manager
Caritas of Austin
611 Neches Street
Austin, TX 78767-1947
Loly Thomas - Direct Service Volunteer Coordinator
(512) 632-0559 (mobile)
Mentorship Plan: Interns will be required to attend Caritas of Austin’s Direct Service Volunteer training where they will learn about working one on one with clients, confidentiality, and other service provision information. Each intern will be overseen by the Program Manager as well as an Employment Specialist. The Employment Specialist will serve as a mentor and will manage the intern on a day to day basis. The intern will shadow the Employment Specialist, receive training, and observe client meetings before taking on clients of their own. The intern will also be required to attend departmental and all staff meetings.
Preparation: Interns are not required to do any reading before beginning their internship. Below are some recommended resources that he/she may investigate more about what Caritas does and the process of Employment:
* Caritas of Austin www.caritasofaustin.org
* Read Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich
* International Office of Migration http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home.html
* United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home
* Cultural Orientation Resource Center http://www.culturalorientation.net/
* Movie God Grew Tired of Us
- People Skills
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 18 hours minimum, for 4-6 months
- preferred bilingual, able to use Microsoft Office
- Help someone or a family...
- Community Kitchen Volunteer
- Apartment Set-up Volunteer
- Bilingual Direct Service...
- Volunteer Management...
- Homeless & Refugee Employment...
- Receptionist And Pantry Assistant
- Refugee Child Day Care Liaison
- Caritas Education Program: ...
- Landlord Outreach Specialist...
- Administrative Volunteers
- Community Advocates - Volunteers
- Donation Drivers - Volunteers
- Volunteer Driving Refugees-...
- Caritas Employment Program...