The Jane Goodall Institute’s (JGI) International Volunteer Program gives volunteers from all over the world the opportunity to the participate in Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots program in Africa including Tanzania where the program was founded.
Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots is currently in over 130 countries. It was founded in 1991 when 12 Tanzanian high school students, from nine schools, met with Dr. Jane Goodall on the veranda of her home in Dar es Salaam.
Because these students shared Dr. Jane’s love and concern for people, animals and the environment they asked her what they could do to help make the world a better place. After a spirited discussion, they decided to start clubs in each of their schools to address relevant issues at a grass roots level. These were the very first Roots & Shoots clubs.
Currently volunteers are only being placed in the Dar es Salaam Region. Volunteer placements can begin in January/February or June/July, and volunteer positions are for a minimum of six months. Shorter term placements are not being considered at this time.
Depending on volunteer skills and experience, key responsibilities could include:
- Development of new biodiversity resources and training materials.
- Management of a new pilot project creating community maps/environmental plans with Roots & Shoots schools.
- Coordination of Roots & Shoots group field visits.
- Supporting school-based environmental projects including: composting, gardening, and soil maintenance.
- Coordinating Roots & Shoots alumni gatherings.
- General support of the Roots & Shoots program, including: Drafting quarterly Roots & Shoots newsletter; Compiling reports for membership database, grants, etc.; and Assisting the Roots & Shoots team with event planning and outreach.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon with the R&S Tanzania team.
The ideal volunteer is mature, flexible, patient, self-motivated, creative, culturally competent, adapts to new environments easily, and possesses a sense of humor.
Get more information and apply at http://www.janegoodall.org/volunteer/.
- General Education
- Environmental Education
- Youth Services
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Community Outreach
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- minimum commitment of 6 months