Oakland Youth Aspire (OYA) is a youth resource center open every Saturday 12:30-5pm in West Oakland. Our mission is to enrich the lives of youth by creating a fun and welcoming environment that promotes a healthy lifestyle and fosters open communication, empathy, and the development of interpersonal skills. Our vision is to help youth aspire to live healthy and productive lives, and develop fundamental skills to reach their fullest potential. For more information on the program and its services, please visit www.oaklandyouthaspire.org and Like us on Facebook for weekly posts and updates.
Below is the description for the Development Director board member position. All of our board members are involved in the program and need to co-lead the program at least 1 Saturday per month, and spend 15 hours a month on tasks to fulfill position responsibilities. Please email email@example.com with any questions or interest in the position.
This position requires candidates to successfully complete an interview with board members and serve in a volunteer capacity at OYA for 5 Saturdays within a 3-month timeframe and complete 1-2 projects prior to membership.
The Oakland Youth Aspire Development Director will provide leadership in fundraising efforts for the organization to support its sustainability.
- Develop fundraising campaigns including crowdfunding and holiday campaigns in partnership with the Communications Director
- Pursue corporate (including banking institutions), individual, and recurring donations
- Develop grant application strategy, finding appropriate grants opportunities, and writing grant applications
- Apply to a minimum of 1 grant application per quarter or 4 per year depending on the cycle
- Organize 1-2 fundraising events/year with the help and full support of the board of directors
- Manage email campaigns to supporter database with Communications Director
- Commit to 15 hours per month to fulfill position responsibilities including meetings and program attendance:
- Attend monthly board meetings, weeknight 7pm-9pm
- Participate in committee meetings as needed
- Participate in back to school events and holiday events
- Co-lead program 1x/month from 12pm-5pm
- Voluntary $300 annual board fees
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Fundraising or nonprofit development experience
- Grant writing experience a plus
- Experience working with at promise youth a plus
- Excellent written and verbal/presentation communication skills
- Events planning experience a plus
- Strong leadership and project management skills; initiative and ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Project Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Donor Management
- Youth Services
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- 15 hours/month