Title/Position: Corner Market Volunteer
The Hand Up Food Pantry of JFS is responsible for helping members of the community get back on their feet by providing emergency food assistance and other resources. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,975 people with 33,887 food bags totaling more than 208,664 pounds of food to hungry people.
Goal of Position:
The Hand Up Food Pantry has opened a new client shopping area, the Corner Market, at our offices in Kearny Mesa. At the Corner Market, clients can shop for their own groceries, including fresh produce, meat, bread, and nonperishables. Volunteers are needed to assist clients as they shop, answer questions about the shopping process, provide information on healthy provide choices, and to check out groceries.
* Directly service people in need of emergency food assistance
* Opportunity to help alleviate hunger in San Diego
* Opportunity to gain customer services skills
* Training on nutrition and meal planning
* Offer excellent customer service to clients
* Organize and merchandise the pantry as needed
* Inform clients of pantry rules and regulations
* Keep accurate records of pantry use
* Keep the pantry area clean and in compliance with food safety standards
* Must be compassionate, friendly, patient, and have the ability to develop and maintain good rapport with clients
* Must be willing to gain a strong understanding of other pantry and Jewish Family Service of San Diego programs
* Must have previous customer service experience, volunteer or otherwise
* Must be able to commit to a volunteer term of 3 hours a week for 3 months
* Must be able to provide own transportation to the Turk Family Center
* Must be at least 18 years old
* Must be able to lift bins and boxes up to 25 pounds
* Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volunteer
* Complete Volunteer Interview and Orientation with JFS Volunteer Services
* Complete a background check and reference check
* Volunteer shifts will be three hours long
* Volunteers must be able to commit to at least one shift each week
* Volunteers will need to give 24 hours’ notice if they will not be able to fulfill a commitment to their shift
* The Corner Market is open from 1-3 on Mondays; 10-12, 1-3 on Tuesdays and Wednesday; 4-6 on Thursday; and 10-12 on Fridays. Volunteers must have availability during these times.
Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
Immediate Supervisor: Hand Up Food Pantry Staff
- Customer Service
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours a week for 3 months
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed...
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Child Activity Helper
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- On the Go Administrative Assistant
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant