Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
The Hand Up Food Pantry has opened a new client shopping area, the Corner Market, at our offices in Kearny Mesa. At the Corner Market, clients can shop for their own groceries, including fresh produce, meat, bread, and non-perishables. Volunteers are needed to assist clients as they shop, answer questions about the shopping process, provide information on healthy provide choices, and to check out groceries.
- Directly service people in need of emergency food assistance
- Opportunity to help alleviate hunger in San Diego
- Opportunity to gain customer services skills
- Training on nutrition and meal planning
- Offer excellent customer service to clients
- Organize and merchandise the pantry as needed
- Inform clients of pantry rules and regulations
- Keep accurate records of pantry use
- Keep the pantry area clean and in compliance with food safety standards
- Must be able to pass a background check * Must be compassionate, friendly, patient, and have the ability to develop and maintain good rapport with clients
- Must be willing to gain a strong understanding of other pantry and Jewish Family Service of San Diego programs
- Must have previous customer service experience, volunteer or otherwise
- Must be able and confident in computer use
- Must be able to commit to a volunteer term of 3 hours a week for 3 months
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the Turk Family Center
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be able to lift bins and boxes up to 25 pounds
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volunteer
- Complete Volunteer Interview and Orientation with JFS Volunteer Services
- Complete a background check and reference check
- Volunteer shifts will be three hours long
- Volunteers must be able to commit to at least one shift each week
- Volunteers will need to give 24 hours’ notice if they will not be able to fulfill a commitment to their shift
- The Corner Market is open from 1-3 on Mondays; 10-12, 1-3 on Tuesdays and Wednesday; 4-6 on Thursday; and 10-12 on Fridays. Volunteers must have availability during these times.
Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
Hand Up Food Pantry Staff
- Customer Service
- Food Service
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours a week for 3 months
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Table Captain- Balboa Ave Older...
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...