185 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Museum of American Heritage
Please visit the new page to apply.
185 people are interested
Get hands-on experience working with visitors in a small museum!
Gallery Assistants work as docents in our Palo Alto museum and assist the Gallery Supervisor. This position is great for individuals who enjoy interacting with the public and for those who would like to learn about the operations of a small museum. The position is available during the museum’s open hours - Friday through Sunday from 11am to 4pm. Assistants may volunteer for one or more hours at a time as regularly as they wish. Scheduling for this position is flexible.
- Welcome museum visitors
- Answer visitors’ questions
- Cover front desk as needed
- Help maintain museum cleanliness and organization
- Assist with other projects as needed
- Serve as the front-facing staff for a niche museum.
- Interact with diverse groups of visitors, who range from local residents to international travelers.
- Assist with projects related to curation, audience engagement, and museum operations.
- Fulfill community service hour requirements. (We can provide service verification, if needed).
- Use the volunteer experience to bolster your resume. (We are happy to write letters of recommendation for our volunteers’ student or career portfolios.)
You must be at least 16 years old and be able to fill out our volunteer waiver. Volunteers under the age of 18 need to provide a signature from a parent or guardian sign. Volunteers must provide proof of vaccination status.
We are always happy to welcome new members to the MOAH team! The Museum of American Heritage relies on 100+ committed volunteers to help us operate the museum. From maintaining exhibits to helping in the garden, we can find the right opportunity for you!
Have an idea in mind?
Do you have other skills that you want to use to contribute to MOAH that do not fit with the opportunity above? We are happy to work with you to find a way you can help. Feel free to reach out and propose a project. Virtual opportunities are also available.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (650) 321-1004.
About Museum of American Heritage
351 Homer Avenue, P. O. Box 1731, Palo Alto, CA 94302, US
The Museum of American Heritage preserves and presents the evolution of American invention. We seek to maintain and develop a public space in which all members of the community can better understand the present and envision the future by rediscovering the technological genius of our past.
Founded in 1985, the Museum of American Heritage opened its doors as a public museum in 1990. The museum preserves and presents the evolution of American invention, with collections that focus on Nineteenth and early Twentieth century mechanical and electrical devices. Housed in an historic 1907 residence in downtown Palo Alto, the museum features permanent exhibits including a kitchen, doctor's office, general store, and print shop. Two main galleries show three special theme exhibits annually. A 1500 square foot Learning Center provides space for meetings, lectures, classes, and events. The Museum is surrounded by historic gardens.The Museum is a non-profit corporation and is supported solely by memberships, donations, grants and class fees. Admission to the Museum is free.
351 Homer AvenuePalo Alto, CA 94302
February 6, 2024
- Public Speaking
- Exhibition Arts
- People Skills
- Public Relations
- Teaching / Instruction
- Arts Administration
- People 55+
- You may volunteer for 1-4 hours with shifts on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays between 11am to 4pm.