Wildlife Zookeeper Intern
1 person is interested
Kids Saving the Rainforest (KSTR) is looking for a Wildlife Zookeeper Intern to support our Veterinarian in daily zookeeping at the KSTR Wildlife Sanctuary. We are looking for an active, passionate individual to help us elevate our zookeeping of the wild animals in our care. The Zookeeping Intern must have the ability to work long days (12+ hours) with very little time off. This person must be extremely dedicated to animal conservation and willing to forgo personal comfort for the benefit of the animals they’re helping for the duration of their stay.
Reporting to KSTR Biologist and in partnership with the Veterinarian, the Wildlife Zookeeping Intern will have an opportunity to participate in the following activities:
- Animal husbandry with Sanctuary animals
- Distribute diets, along with other member of staff
- Assess daily health and behavior
- Exercise daily enrichment plans
- Exercise daily operant conditioning
- Assist capturing and restraining animals
- Assist in preventive medicine checkups and program
- Assist if medical care and treatments if needed
- Zoological administration tasks
- Prepare diets for Sanctuary animals, along with other member of staff
- Complete observations of Sanctuary animals, particularly with new introductions and other changes to the animals’ environment
- Manage record keeping in Sanctuary
- Assist with major cage cleanings and re-design
We'll work with your schedule.
500 Oeste de Finca AnitaQuepos, Costa Rica
- Animal Care / Handling
- Environmental Education
- minimum of three months (internship)
- you must cover all travel expenses, however, room and board, is all inclusive at $800 per month.