Editorial Internship at Real Change
Real Change is a weekly newspaper covering social justice issues sold by working poor and homeless people on the streets of greater Seattle. The editorial team seeks an intern to help us round out our in-depth coverage of local issues in a three-month summer internship.
- Participate in Monday morning editorial meetings and, if applicable, Tuesday newspaper production and proof reading
- Attend community meetings and events, sometimes in the evenings
- Conduct research and interviews for news stories
- Develop sources and potential news stories and pitch them at editorial meetings and meetings with editor
- Write news stories, briefs, and/or vendor profiles
- Keep a set of weekly schedule of hours, in addition to occasional work in the field
- Complete other editorial tasks, such as photography, as needed
- Previous journalism and/or research experience in a campus- or community-based media outlet
- Passionate interest in issues of social, racial and economic justice
- Desire to learn in a fast-paced and challenging setting
- Flexible schedule and ability to work occasional evenings
This is an unpaid internship, but academic service-learning or other credit will be gladly arranged. We anticipate that the internship will entail 10 to 20 hours of work each week; however, some allowances will be made for the right applicant.
Please send the following to Jenn Romo, Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter explaining your skills and interest in the position, and how you learned about it
- a resume
- three published clips of your work or links to online work samples. In lieu of work samples, you may be given a short writing assignment for Real Change.
The application deadline for Summer Quarter internships is 4 p.m. on Friday, March 31st, 2017.
- Reading Comprehension
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 10 to 20 hours per week